Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, My chain came off the sprocket today when i was riding. Had to get it towed and now i am left with a messed up chain and will be definately replacing it soon. I need to know what a good chain is, I want to purchase this on ebay or another site with good pricing. I also need to know if I should replace my sprockets, I took pictures so please let me know what I should do. I also need to know the best sprocket teeth setup on this bike. I believe it was changed before but I am not sure what is best. Also, the chain got stuck in between the front sprocket, should I remove the shifter linkage for this to come out? Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
If you're going to replace the chain you can just cut it off.

The rear sprocket looks worn, I suggest replacing it.

The chain didn't break? If the chain isn't broken then there was a huge amount of slack in the chai to cause something like that to happen.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i believe the chain was loose somehow, its stuck in between the front sprocket now. So looking at the pictures, I should definately replace the rear sprocket? What size would go with a 15 front? Or should I just replace both of them?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Replace front, Rear and chain as a set. This happened due to a serious lack of maintenance or misadjustment.

D.I.D. makes decent chains, along with a lot of other folks. Check out a cyclegear store if there's one near you, or if not HTTP://WWW.Cyclegear.com

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
How many miles are on the bike? That rear sprocket doesn't look that bad to me honestly. Steel sprockets can take a beating for over 20,000 miles if you take care of them and the chain. And really you can go two chains for each set of sprockets; yes they wear together and the second chain may not last as long as the first as a result, but it's perfectly safe and you'll save yourself money. When the teeth on your sprocket look thin and/or start to wear such that they look like a shark's dorsal fin, you know it needs replaced for sure. I'm not really seeing that in the pic.

Quality chains look for any DID or RK O-ring chain (X-ring is still an O-ring, but a different design--it's called X because that's what you'd see if you were to cut the o-ring, lay it out long ways, and look at one end. Supposed to minimize friction.) Don't get caught up in the X-ring types and all that stuff. Just grab a 520 pitch o-ring chain. I believe there are w-ring and other such o-ring types available as well, but you're not going to notice any difference between all the o-ring types.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks, i just purchased " Did 520Vm G/B Tfc Conn Lnk 520 Vm" chain on JCWhitney, I also finally removed the messed up old chain. I haven't replaced this chain since I purchased the bike back in 2009, but I probably only put 15k miles if even that. I noticed that my front sprocket is 14teeth and the back said "SUNSTAR 42",so Im guessing thats 42 teeth? I order just a stock chain, would that be ok? Or will I need to cut links to make it fit right?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, the chain I recently ordered is "out of stock", I now have to go find another one someplace else.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Chains come in 120 links and need to be cut to length. The typical ZX6R I know needs around 108-110 links with stock gearing.

If you saw a 42 on the sprocket, then it's for the rear. Fronts are normally 14 to 16 teeth. Look at your sprockets; you should see a number stamped on them telling you how many teeth they have. Also, some places sell chains already cut to length, but if you're using a rivet style master link you need the tool to install it, which is also used to cut the chain, so you may as well find the best deal on a 120 link o-ring chain and do it yourself. Just my opinion and preference.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
So, the chain I recently ordered is "out of stock", I now have to go find another one someplace else.
If you have a Cycle Gear close go pick one up. They keep a few varieties in stock. The dealer should too, but call ahead and ask about pricing. You should pay $100-$150 for a quality RK chain at Cycle Gear (depending if they're on sale or not). If the dealer has one in that range I'd go get it and avoid waiting, unless you're an extreme penny pincher.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have alot of money at the moment for an expensive chain. I found one online for 24.00 on d2moto.com. its a standard chain 520-106, but i do have a 14teeth front and 42 rear, and counting my old chain link was at 104, so i am thinking i need the 520-104 chain...

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I don't think that's an o-ring chain, which would explain why it's so cheap.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, as i said before im pretty much broke right now for an expensive chain, i just need something on there to ride for a little while.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I would replace the whole thing incase any teeth got nicked or the rear got warped when the chain came off. I think you can get a budget setup at cyclegear for around 100-130 bucks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts