Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 636 and was wondering if you can remove the chain w/o breaking it and if you can install a chain already riveted together. Obviously I know you would have to remove the front sprocket but was wondering if there was anything else that would hinder this. The reason I ask is because I am replacing my chain/sprockets but want to avoid buying a riveting kit so will have the shop rivet it for me then do the install myself (if you can it this way). Thanks for the info guys!

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
u have to brake the chain no matter what since the subframe is in the way.. and u need the tool to put the new chain on. im pretty sure, i did it like a year ago. kinda forgot

EDIT:
i ment swingarm not subframe.
thanks bug juice, for not flaming the shit out of me!!!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
you don't have to remove the front sprocket. You'd back off the rear axle and unhook it off the rear sprocket, and that gives you all the play you need to unhook it off the front sprocket.

However, the subframe is no where near the chain, so that's not the problem.
The problem lie in the fact it goes thru the swingarm, which is bolted to the bike, and it goes thru an opening which you can't break..

so you gotta break the chain I'm afraid

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
LOL MY BAD
i ment swing arm. not subframe
i been spending too much time with my subframe after my crash so i gotta get it out of my head

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah, need to break it and need to use the tool at time of installation.

Look into the Motion Pro chain tool (breaking and riveting), should cost you like $100 or so...

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Just a tip if you are swapping your chain ... Unless you are wanting to inspect your front sprocket, when you break the old chain, link the new chain to your old one and pull the new chain around the front sprocket by using the old chain. That will keep you from having to remove the sprocket cover. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info and advise guys...i appreciate it! kawiforums always save ya time and frustration...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Just a tip if you are swapping your chain ... Unless you are wanting to inspect your front sprocket, when you break the old chain, link the new chain to your old one and pull the new chain around the front sprocket by using the old chain. That will keep you from having to remove the sprocket cover. :)

smart

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
On my ATV, since it's alongside the swingarm (and doesn't go through it), the chain comes off & goes on, assembled. On the MX bike there's a master link.

On the sportbikes, though, you have to break/rivet.

Look at the bright side - with a belt driven machines (like Harleys), they have to take the whole swingarm off to replace that thing... Big $$$ and lots of time. IMHO belts are for holding up my pants, NOT for use as a final drive.

So being able to break and rivet the chain is a GOOD thing :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts