Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any reason why adjusting this while the bike is on the kick stand a bad idea of is it fine?
THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
i think its actually recomended to have the back tire free..im sure u can do it on a kick stand but it may take twice as long and maybe longer cuz u have to spin the tire and check the chain to see if its evenly tight through out...im sure it will make it a hell of a lot more dificult to do it that way.. but it can be done...i think...i never did it that way..

·
Registered
550 Posts
The manual recommends doing it with the bike supporting its own weight, on the sidestand. A lot of people do it on a rear race stand, though, because it's easier to rotate and move things around.

·
Registered
891 Posts
lol try adjusting your chain on your own with the bike kicked up on the stand. it's not near as easy as doing it on the rearstand.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I have always done mine on while the bike is on a rearstand.

--David

·
Registered
181 Posts
hmm...i thought i woulda been a hell of a lot harder..good to know that peace then...learn somethen everyday wid this forum:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
ive done mine on the side stand, it was very easy.
if u do it on a rear stand, your going to have to set it a bit looser.
to accomodate for the suspension, when the bikes weight is applied
it's the other way around... when the bike is on a side stand, the suspension is less compressed.

It's Statics. difference is very minor.. and as long as you stay within the measurement you should be fine.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
The chain wont get tighter as the suspension compresses at all, the swingarm does not somehow magically get longer, the chain is just pivoting around the sprocket at a different angle.. Now if the chain was riding on some slider block then yea thats possible but that shouldnt be the case on our bikes..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I would have to disagree. As the suspension compresses, the rear sprocket is actually moving away from the front one, thus taking up more slack.

If the swingarm were perfectly parallel with the ground then I would agree, however it is pointing down at an angle, so logically when it moves upwards the rear wheel is moving away from the engine slightly, thus taking up some slack.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by spitz04
The chain wont get tighter as the suspension compresses at all, the swingarm does not somehow magically get longer, the chain is just pivoting around the sprocket at a different angle.. Now if the chain was riding on some slider block then yea thats possible but that shouldnt be the case on our bikes..
sir you are 100% WRONG!!!!! How can people own these types of bikes and not know this kind of stuff.. Just does not seem right to me..

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon
I would have to disagree. As the suspension compresses, the rear sprocket is actually moving away from the front one, thus taking up more slack.

If the swingarm were perfectly parallel with the ground then I would agree, however it is pointing down at an angle, so logically when it moves upwards the rear wheel is moving away from the engine slightly, thus taking up some slack.

[:++1]

If the front sprocket and the swing arm pivoted around the same point then there would be very little reason to have so much slack or free play (but you would always need a little). Currently we don't have that option so the last statement is correct and it's gotten worse with bikes coming with longer and longer swing arms.

Q

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Yea I guess i was thinking wrong on the pivot point, however the swingarm arc is not very drastic, you wont see a huge change in that slack, and obviously thats correct just because of the manufacturers slack adjustment of mearly 1/2 or whatever it may be..

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that would be 1.2 to 1.5 inches for 05/06 zx-6r

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.