Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 6r and i hear a slight rattling noise comming from the sprocket area. Im not sure if its a normal sound seeing as this is my first bike.
I dont know if the chain is loose or not because i dont hve the manual.
what is the slack supposed to be and how do i check it? (bike on stand or on jack or with someone sitting on it???)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The chain slack should be set between 1/2 and 1 inch measured with the bike on the ground, not on the stand. You can use a ruler to measure the distance, or you can just guesstimate the distance. Do you lube/wax your chain on a regular basis (every 200-300 miles)? Well, if you don't, then that could be reason for your chain noise. If your chain is adjusted and aligned (making sure the front and rear sprockets are in a straight line of one another) properly, then you want to make sure your chain and sprockets are still good. Where the chain is in full contact with the rear sprocket, grab the chain with two fingers and try pulling if off the sprocket teeth. If the chain comes off the sprocket, that means you need to replace your chain and sprockets because they are worn. That would be cause for a considerable amount of chain noise as well.

2000th post... wOOt!:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.