Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
if your 2013 ninja already needs a chain you're doing fuck all for maintenance or putting down some crazy miles because my '06 636 has 15k mi on factory chain.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I with the above posters on this. I'm at ~8,500 on my 07 zx6r and I'm at most halfway through the adjustment blocks.

This doesn't answer your question, but it sounds like you should get familiar with basic chain maintenance (checking/adjusting tension, lubing the chain, etc.) unless you somehow put like 15k-20k miles on a 2013 already.

I put up a good link which shows you how to clean/lube the chain real well.

http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheeled-discussion/260362-cleaning-lubing-chain.html

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
may 2013 - august just started.

new chain = you suck/stupid dealer &/or being stupid and listening

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
There's some negative riders not saying no names but it has 9600 miles I drive this to work n drive 100 miles a day to save gas

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
go with oem if youre replacing and want durability; replace your sprockets with your chain.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
So my chain got loose n took it to get it tightened n the guy told me ima need a new one pretty soon Wat best chain is best for my 13 ninja 650??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Unless you've been neglecting the chain (no cleaning or lubricating), or you've done 20,000 miles already, that mechanic is pulling your chain (pun intended). I call bullshit.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I replaced my chain 5000 miles ago (at 15,000), lube it about every 400-500 miles, and haven't even adjusted it yet. It's finally getting to where it might need it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
you guys must rag the shit outta your bikes...mine has just under 8k on her now, no chain adjustment so far!
I suggest you maybe do a few track days (on other bikes) to get the speed demons out, and give your machines a rest! lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
i dont know where your chains are made but the thai chains fitted to my errrr, thai ER6N seem to be made of fish heads and cardboard.......rode the bike 900km from south to mid thailand and the chain was slack as a slack thing, even with regular oiling. my previous ER6 chain self destructed in the middle of nowhere after 12000km. i have photos of me sat by the river kwai beating the links back in place with 2 rocks and a screwdriver.
the O rings pop out and the inner plates move out to mate with the outer plates and then seize up......and the rollers look like a hula hoop on a gogo dancers pole......not good but only 40 quid for a new 1.......oh hum.

and check the front sprocket.....mine was most amusing.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
you guys must rag the shit outta your bikes...mine has just under 8k on her now, no chain adjustment so far!
I suggest you maybe do a few track days (on other bikes) to get the speed demons out, and give your machines a rest! lol
They like to be ridden hard and put away wet! :D

·
Registered
941 Posts
I checked mine today. It was just a tad looser than spec, so I adjusted it with the aid of my brand new $35 6" ruler (three bucks for the ruler-the rest was for the three boxes of ammo I hadn't planned on buying until I saw the price). Adjusting it to the tight side of the spec confirmed what I suspected when I got it back from the 15,000 mile service. Guy at the shop installed the chain about a half turn of the adjusters too tight. I should be due for an adjustment again about the time I hit the 22.5k service, which should also be about time for a rear tire replacement.

The chain I have cost $100 at the stealership and shows what appears to be a Yamaha part number. I have don't know where it was made, but Japan would be my first guess. It's holding up just fine so far, and I'm kind of rough on chains.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts