Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm moving out of my folks place and won't be having a garage anymore. my new place only has outside parking for 1 car. i see that some people living there already manage to fit their 1 car next to their bike. i was thinking of chaining my bike to my car rim and then putting wheel locks on my car rims. either that, or i may end up selling the bike, suggestions?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would fine an apartment w/ a garage. Chained or not, if someone wants it.. they'll take it. My gixxer got stolen back when I had an apt w/o a garage. No more of that :) The toys are kept out of sight. If you have to, park that bad boy inside!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i couldn't refuse the deal on this condo and it's a top unit.. so getting the bike upstairs/downstairs poses a problem.

does anyone else here chain their bike down? or would recommend a GOOD STRONG CHAIN lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah... the top unit definitely presents a problem.
Get a ridiculous chain, two different sets of wheel locks, and lojack... don't ditch the bike though ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you do get a chain make sure its the real motorcycle chains, the gold ones there is a 50 dollar one and a 100 dollar one; I have 3 of those. Make sure the chains are lock with the frame not the rear wheel, cause that wont do you any good.

Suggestion, park the motorcycle parallel to the parking stopper; trap the bike with your car. Run the chain underneath the tow hook beneath ur car (mine has one), then get cables tie that to your rims, one from the rear of ur bike tire and the other front; so they would be lock from left and right rims of ur car. Yes its a hassle but it will increase the chance of ur bike being there when u wake up.

Get an alarm for ur bike only if ur close enough to hear it. Would be wise to live in a gated community. Oh yea cover up ur bike.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the parking in front of my complex is PERFECT for theives having a truck/van. simply backup into the recessed lawn next to the first row of parked cars and my bike would be eye level..

anyway, would the best bike chain still be prone to conventional cutting tools?

·
Powerhungry
38,369 Posts
damn bike theft is that bad a problem? ive woke up before went to start my bike, and realized my keys were still in it!!! put FULL coverage, including GAP and park it outside with whatever "security" system you are able to get. if they want it THEY WILL GET IT doesnt matter what you do. the only thing you can do is be insured...and hopefully get it replaced WHEN (NOT IF) it gets stolen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
full insurance and gap insurance. Ive lived in the same complex for years and I bring my bike indoors at night. But the neighbors dont and there constantly coming up missing. But they never sweat it cause its like they get a new bike everytime there old one gets stolen. My neighbor above me is on his 3rd R6 from theft. He crazy and doest even park his in front of his apartment, sometimes its 2 buildings over cause he can never get a spot. I cant live like that though, If I do get lazy and dont feel like draging it in I have 2 wheel alarms that are hella loud and I leave the front window open and Im a light sleeper. Also dont forget to box it in with the car Ive seen situations where that does help, some theives are punk ass kids and cant lift the bike up over the cars. Ive seen some on there side wedged between cars cause they couldnt lift it up. In the end both the car and bike were damaged.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by CHRISZX6RR
some theives are punk ass kids and cant lift the bike up over the cars. Ive seen some on there side wedged between cars cause they couldnt lift it up. In the end both the car and bike were damaged.
u know i didn't think about that

def don't want my car getting messed either, guess that's another risk with chaining the bike to the car

·
Registered
134 Posts
The huge kryptonite NY lock with the huge gold chain that was mentioned earlier is pretty damn close to being indestructible. You can get through it but I can't even imagine the amount of noise it would make in doing so. You get that and lock it to something and a rotor lock at both ends and a thief will just go look for a easier target, not worth the PITA to try and get yours when they can probably find another bike with just the bars locked.

In my LOCKED garage I have mine locked to the floor AND a rotor lock....Ain't no body messing with what is mine:D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The No.1 trhing to do to keep your bike yours no matter where you park it...

KEEP IT COVERED.

Trust me...out of sight, out of mind.

I chain mine to my CB750 and then to my truck underneath the carport. I keep it covered all the time. No one has ever messed with it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
pretty extreme shit guys [}:)]

how about you just get a sick ass sleeping bag and a deer rifle and sit outside every night with a little campfire next to the bike in case thieves come??

i mean comeon,get a $400 alarm and a lock, you'll be fine dude. otherwise you live in the ghetto

·
Registered
93 Posts
go over to homie deopot and pick you up a big ass masonary drill bit, and a then head over to the local 4x4 shop and pick up a monster block shackle... drill a hole in the parking lot, anchor in the shackle, and bolt your bike down to that and you will be fine. that is the set up i use for all my bikes inside my garage, i'll take a picture and post it up tomorrow

·
Registered
634 Posts
I keep mine chained pretty good. I live in an apartment also. I chain mine to a storm drain with a thick $60 steel cable and I keep it covered. Around my way the only way they get stolen is if you leave em unlocked and in the open. Most of em won't mess with a chained bike. I also sometimes chain mine to my wheels on my car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
are there any self storage places close? I had the same problem but I rented a small storeage unit to keep my bike in. They didn't mind when I got it out, anytime. It's cheap and it'll take some stress off of you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.