Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my ER6's are made in thailand and the worst thing about them is shocking chain wear. i was wondering what USA and european chains are like?
the rollers on thai chains look like theyre a size too big for the pins after a few miles! you can move them around as if theres a bush missing. the other thing they do is spit out the O rings around 10,000 miles and then the inner plate migrates to the outer plate and seizes together. this is with regular chain maintenance. most chains are done @14000 miles.
on 1 trip i had to beat the inner plates back in to stop the chain locking up on every 2nd link using a rock and a big nail......not something i call fun especially as i was 500km from the nearest new chain and the group were pressing on @140kph.:eek:
a new chain is only £35 but it says made in thailand on the box:(
do your chains last longer?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Thailand?!

I thought that Kawasaki bikes were the last 100% made in Japan :confused:

If your chain wear is that tragic though, I would propose you to invest in a top quality DID or other brand chain-sprocket set.

Can't do any harm no matter how you see it ;)

·
Registered
601 Posts
25 000 km OEM chain and sprockets.
25 000 km DID chain with JT sprockets kit.

In my case, the replacement DID kit started spitting O-rings even though it was maintained in suggested intervals using proper cleaner and lube.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thailand?!

I thought that Kawasaki bikes were the last 100% made in Japan :confused:

If your chain wear is that tragic though, I would propose you to invest in a top quality DID or other brand chain-sprocket set.

Can't do any harm no matter how you see it ;)
thailand has a kawasaki factory, and so does ducati, triumph, honda and yamaha. they export bike all over the world.unfortunately triumph didnt secure a deal to sell bikes inside thailand so a street triple costs £15000 here.:eek: thats why i ride the ER6N @ £5,500.
and a lot of riding is done on roads like these so although chain wear is annoying, cheap replacements are acceptable, i dont even get my hands dirty cos they fit them for £4.00!:thumbup:
they say did on the box but look like they were made in a school metalwork class........for 6 yr olds!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My factory chain started getting tight spots at 9k miles. Tight enough to feel it in the pegs. I wasn't impressed by the chain life. I've had them last north of 15,000 miles before so it was a shock with a less powerful bike when the chain wore out so fast.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
941 Posts
I bought my bike used with 9966 miles. The chain it came with (original?) made it to 15,000. The replacement chain has an OEM Yamaha part number and is doing fine 7000 miles later.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
thailand has a kawasaki factory, and so does ducati, triumph, honda and yamaha. they export bike all over the world.unfortunately triumph didnt secure a deal to sell bikes inside thailand so a street triple costs £15000 here.:eek: thats why i ride the ER6N @ £5,500.
and a lot of riding is done on roads like these so although chain wear is annoying, cheap replacements are acceptable, i dont even get my hands dirty cos they fit them for £4.00!:thumbup:
they say did on the box but look like they were made in a school metalwork class........for 6 yr olds!
Hmm, pretty explanatory post, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Get one that's almost impossible to wear out and has a lifetime warranty if you do manage to wear it out somehow: www.sidewindersprockets.com :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm at 10k on an 08 (bought it back in Feb of this year with 3.5k). It is getting to where I have to clean/lube it about every 250-300 miles (which means each weekend day I ride). Has one or two tight links, and everywhere we ride here (even the roads that look like perfect, clean pavement) is got sand on it. The popping tends to start about 200 miles and gets annoying by 300.

Likely replace it here soon. I'll be happy with getting 10k riding here with it getting sand-blasted 100% of the time. And I don't really commute on it, so most the riding is pushing the bike pretty hard as well.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
My '06 ZX6-R (636) still has the factory sprockets and chain with around 18,000Mi and I cant say that I can see a bit of wear other than the coating on the teeth of the rear sprocket wore off on the ride home from the dealership.

Chain and sprockets get cleaned with a grunge brush and some Kerosene or champion chain cleaner, dried and blown out with an airhose, Ridden till warm and then given a good coating or twom of Maxxima Chain Wax

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i forgot to mention on my thai chains the rollers have a join in them! what i mean is you can see the roller was formed by rolling a flat strip in a circle rather than being a solid tube! i have never seen another chain that wasnt made with solid tube rollers?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
My '06 ZX6-R (636) still has the factory sprockets and chain with around 18,000Mi and I cant say that I can see a bit of wear other than the coating on the teeth of the rear sprocket wore off on the ride home from the dealership.

Chain and sprockets get cleaned with a grunge brush and some Kerosene or champion chain cleaner, dried and blown out with an airhose, Ridden till warm and then given a good coating or twom of Maxxima Chain Wax

Well, I guess ’06 was a good year, my Er6n has 32,000 km and my chain and sprocket still look very healthy despite occasional track use and hundreds of miles on Balkan dirt roads covered with filler which left the chain looking like a marshmallow.

Just check out the chain on my co-traveller’s Fazer…

My bike is 100% made in Akashi, Japan and I think that this is why I only had to change a light bulb and the battery in seven years.

I am pretty meticulous when it comes to chain maintenance though.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a 12 about to hit 10k. I lube once a week with chain wax and clean only a handful of times a year. I do clean and use used oil for lube during winter storage, but as for the wear, I have not touched it in close to 2,000 miles and still just around 1" of play and I commute during the week and ride the crap out of the bike on the weekends.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've got a 12 about to hit 10k. I lube once a week with chain wax and clean only a handful of times a year. I do clean and use used oil for lube during winter storage, but as for the wear, I have not touched it in close to 2,000 miles and still just around 1" of play and I commute during the week and ride the crap out of the bike on the weekends.
What brand of chain wax do you use? :confused:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've heard if you slap the chain and it sounds like bells its past time to replace. If your having to adjust it constantly too. Get the chain loose and flex the links by hand to feel for tight links. My 650's chain got a few tight spots. Bad enough to feel it in the chassis. I quit riding it then. I don't want a chain failure. :eek: that was four months ago lol. I've been on the 250 ever since. I keep saying I'm buying a new chain set but still havent.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I use maxilla chain wax. I've recently swapped to 90 weight gear oil on the 250. I want to give that a go and see how it does. After all, the owners manual does recommend it. It has a fair amount of fling (really!?) But its much easier to clean off the wheel than the wax. I don't get any fling on the bike other than wheel and tire.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
An ex MX racer-mechanic told me that the chain slack should be checked with the rider on (or rider and pilion if you often ride two up) and I think it makes sense to do so.

Also, I asked him to check the overall condition of the chain and the sprockets and he found them to be in excellent condition, so OEM parts appear to be high quality items indeed :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have just over 10,000km (6,000 miles) and I am seeing some hard links on the chain. It appears that there is still a lot of thread left on the chain adjust bolts. Is that chain gone?

I think when summer comes I will loosen up the chain and see how the links move.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts