Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know on older models fuel tank needed to be removed. I have an 05 636. The fuel tank is supposed to lift up/tilt back towards the seat right? after taking some bolts out. Are there any fuel lines to be disconnected or anything else? Just want a heads up before I go and do it. Thanks.
BTW, did a search too;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only thing to look out for is the tank falling on you. lol Other than lifting your tank ( u dont have to take it all the way off) and getting it to stay up, all you do is remove like 6 screws , take out the old, put in the new and your done.

To lift your tank
1 remove seat (this includes the 2 blace triangle pieces below the seat.
2 remove 2 big black allens on the side of your bike right below the tank.
3 remove 1 allen screw on top of tank by triple tree.

thats it- dont loose any plastic and rubber washers!!!!!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
let me know if the new filter is worthwhile... and what benefits you actually feel/hear/experience. I know, on paper, you might as well do it if you have a little spare money, but the increases aren't significant. I was considering doing this just becaause you supposedly get a little more growl through the powerband.

·
Powerhungry
37,952 Posts
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL
let me know if the new filter is worthwhile... and what benefits you actually feel/hear/experience. I know, on paper, you might as well do it if you have a little spare money, but the increases aren't significant. I was considering doing this just becaause you supposedly get a little more growl through the powerband.
maybe hes changing with another OEM. and his is just dirty, and time to be replaced. i swear i read somewhere maybe the manual...the recommended way to hold the tank was "use a stick to prop the tank" thats some funny shit

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by FLOJOE
BTW, to keep the tank tilted up, I used a stap and hung it from a beam in my garage. Might help you out.
like FLOJOE said...secure the tank up,it's already a pain in the ass to do anyway.I replaced stock with a K&N (by the way ,a very noticeable difference,growl and throttle response [8D]).It is just harder trying to hold the tank and replace the filter @ the same time!:(

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i just use a small cup inbetween my tank and frame and wedge it down there and it stays lifted.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by nevada

maybe hes changing with another OEM. and his is just dirty, and time to be replaced. i swear i read somewhere maybe the manual...the recommended way to hold the tank was "use a stick to prop the tank" thats some funny shit
Yep, I'm gonna put a new oem filter. Had a hard time to decide between K&N or OEM, but reading all the posts decided to stay on a safe side and go with oem. And yes in a manual they say - qoute- "Lift up the fuel tank, and clamp the fuel tank by wood" LOL

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I did it. Took me about 20 min. Very easy. I'm glad I didn't wait until 12000 miles to replace it as manual suggests. It looks very dirty and I'm at 9300 miles right now and I don't live in very dusty area, so guys living in deserts watch out :), j/k

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.