Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 ZX6R is coming up on 4K miles (it's been parked more than ridden). So as part of the 4K mile scheduled maintenance, it calls for a fork oil change. The manual calls for a fork oil change every 2 years, and my bike hasn't had it done in...5.

I called up a local garage (not a stealership, this place mostly does race stuff, but also regular check up stuff) to price the 4K maintenance routine. They said $50 for the basics, but if I want the fork oil changed, it would be an extra $200 because they have to do alot of shit to my front end.

I didn't recieve a real definitive answer when I asked if I should have the fork oil changed. So I thought I'd see what you guys think. I don't "think" it leaks. I'm sure they could look at that pretty easy and tell me though. But after 5 years and 4K miles, do you think I should pay $200 just to have that old ass oil changed????

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
$200 sounds pretty pricey for the fork oil change. But you should follow the maintenance schedule. The Kawasaki ZX6R service manual shows a special tool that you need to pump the damper rod in the fork to expel air when you drain and refill the oil. How handy are you with tools? Not sure what the special service tool costs but its probably more cost effective to drop the forks out of the bike yourself and take them to the dealer or shop to have the oil changed. They should charge considerably less because most of the labor is in R&R of the forks. Just a thought!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.