Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ZX6R's,
My friend and I were just discussing about how it would effect my riding, if I change my tires from a 180 to a 190 size tire. Just wanted to get your opinion on the advantages and disadvantages between the two.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really can't say that I recommend that. Going to a bigger tire is gonna effect your handling . Your bike was designed for a 180 tire and the 190 would unstabalize your ride hence why I don't recommend the change. Your only advantage from going to a 190 from a 180 would be appearance and unfortunately, appearance isn't nothing when going through twisties at 180km/h [8D]

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You'd add stability (and poser pints!)at the expense of handeling. Seeing as the bike is more than likely not suffering in the stability area, you're probably going to hate how it steers slower. If you don't do the twisites, you might like it better...up to you and your riding.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is no good reason for going with a 190. The 190 will actually be a little shorter than the 180 so it will make the bike feel more slugish because it will lower the rear a little. The 190 will also throw your speedo off a little. The 190 is designed to go on a rim that is 1/2 wider I believe so the profile of the tire will be affected.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i have no problems with a 120/60 front and a 190/55 back tires, 208zr by dunlop. i couldn't tell the difference. it could be my experience, but i've been riding for 3yrs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As others have said, going up one size is 'always' a bad idea. Much of the disfavor depends on how you ride. If you just poke along like a cruiser, then the 190 will present no problems, but if you go like 'stink' than you'll hate the wider tire. When you lever on a wider tire the tread profile will we pushed outward at the center and the bead won't fit properly either. I once installed a 190 on my ZX-11 and everything seemed OK except for a stretch of 'very familiar' winding road. The wider tire made the bike very unstable in some areas. Return to the proper 180 made the bike rock solid again. I've also measured the mounted result of a 180 and 190 on the same rim. The 190 is wider only until it’s mounted and then you only pick up about 1/8" or 3mm. The dang things cost more too. The 190 even presents a 'smaller' contact patch as well. Not much of a decision really.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
There was a 180 put on the rear for a reason. That is what works best. They don't just pick a tire size out of the sky and throw it up there. Oooooh, look I've got a bigger tire than you! nananabubu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.