Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to go down 1 on the front. Rear sprocket still has 80% life left. Trying to spend as little as possible, but if it's truly needed, I'll swap out both.

Think it'll be okay just getting the front and a new chain?
-Cody

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
You'll get differing opinions on this.

I say you'll be fine.

keep the new chain properly lubed and adjusted.

go ride.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
as long as the teeth look good and ur getting a new chain i would leave it. However best of luck getting the front sprocket nut off with out impact. I did a number on my front because didnt use 6head sockets and said screw it and just did +2 on rear and left front stuck.

·
Hooligan
1,704 Posts
lol my impact wouldnt work on mine...

had one person sit on the bike, block of wood wrapped in a towel between my spokes n swing arm and another person pushing down on the tail. and gaver shit with a socket n ratchet with bout a foot long breaker bar .

they are a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, an IR2135ti is part of the budget for this purchase. I've always wanted a better impact and I've heard that it's a HUGE pita, so what better excuse to upgrade?

I'm not sure, however, if a speedo-dr will be in the budget right now. I want / need one, but it might have to wait a few months...we'll see.

Thanks for the input.
-Cody

·
Registered
633 Posts
i done that at the end of last year.. Put 14/40 and kept the same chain and rear sprocket just got new front sprocket.. Its a pain in the ass to get that front nut off too.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
it will be fine...imho. chains and sprockets are a consumable. They'll wear the longest if matched but its not like doing this will make your hair fall out and destroy your chain overnight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you'll be fin. i've changed the front on so many of my bikes. i doubt, like most of us, you wont keep it forever. Do it !! you wont regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts