Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips for changing spark plug wires on a 95 zx6r? I have never seen plug wires like this before. A step by step would be appreciated.... thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The wires on the '95 ZX-6R are solid core wire. You can replace it with Packard 440 which used to be available by the foot at autoparts stores although I haven't tried to by any for a while. Go to a place that works on air coold VWs and they will probably have some. The teriminal just screw into the end of the wire I believe.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the wires... just having trouble getting them on. Are they supposed to clip onto anything or whats the deal? Do they just slide over the plug and make contact?!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i presume they clip onto the spark plug head like any regular one would, didn't you see how they went on before?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Do you have the connectors that fits over the plug in the head? If you look at the end that conncects to the wire you will notice a little screw thingy. You screw that into the metal core of the wire. I have never had the wire off at the coil end but I assume there is a similar set-up there. It goes together just like the old air cooled VW stuff.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swjohnsey... I got the wires in the coils fine... now getting them to snap onto the plugs are becoming a problem. I put them on like before.. .but these have a protective boot of somesort that the others did not have. The others clipped onto the plugs just fine... do u think i should just cut those boots off?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I think I see what is going on. You got wires that already had the boot end attached. You need to use the old boot/connector that came on the bike. You can unscrew them from the old wire and screw them into the new wire.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do u mean by boot end connector? The part the wire goes into or the part that clips onto the spark plug ?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It your bike still has the original wires there is a rubber boot/connector thingy that goes over the spark plug down in the well. The spark plug wire connects at right angles to the long axis of the plug. The front edge is rounded and the back edge is squared off. The square corners fit under the little plastic piece on top of the valve cover to keep the plug wire from coming off. When the rubber boot is seated all the way down the connector hits the top of the spark plug. Those in the picture are not the stock connectors so I am not sure how they come off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey swjohnsey, I just had one of my wires break off in my hand. Where did you get the wires? Did they sell you just the wires, or did you have to buy the coils too? More importantly, how much did they cost?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coils are separate... you can buy just the wires. I would get em from ronayers.com or something like that... couldnt tell ya how much till I look it up.. too tired and lazy right now lol. I got nology hotwirez.. waste of money.. dont bother. get oem its probably cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.