Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2001 zx6r and has the factory blue color.
Now I have decided that I want my rims to be black.
Does anyone know how to paint the rims? Do I have to paint over the original paint or take off the orginal paint first? If it's too much hassel should i go buys some black rims on ebay? help!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you clean the ones you have got really good and scuff them up w/ sandpaper you can paint them. If you want to remove the paint just use some good paint stripper. It's not that hard to get the blue off. The green is a different story though. If it were me, I would go for the powdercoat though. I had my barends, levers, rearsets, and passenger pegs done and they look awesome. Lot more durable than paint too. You will have to get all of that paint off of them to do it though. Painting is okay, but if you want it to look really good and last go w/ the powdercoat.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Yea powdercoating is your best bet.
You can use a strong aluminum paint stripper to remove the paint, see the guide in my signature for tips on stripping the paint.

Before you get them powder coated make sure you remove the bearings and other internals from the wheels (anything rubber will melt, and metal bearing could be damaged by the heat). Then have a local shop do them for you, and voila! looks great!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all your input.

I've already contacted some companies and they said it's $30 each to get it powder coated but you have to take off all the painting before you take it to the shop

·
Registered
934 Posts
... It's also easy enough to pay someone to bead-blast the rims prior to powder-coating. :D Bead-blasting isn't as damaging to metal as sandblasting because instead of sand they use little pebbles or "beads" of plastic to strip the paint. Just my $0.02 [8D]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.