Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I just changed my oil and for the first time ever I get the oil light so I try the burping method doesn't work, so I try a few times only letting the bike run for maybe 5-10 sec each time, I do this maybe 5 or 6 times oil light still on, I started to here the knocking or ticking everyone describes, So finally I start the bike with the filter backed off and open the filler plug and then it worked and the knocking went away, but now my bike makes a new sound I'm not used to hearing and its really hard to describe is it possible that something is damaged or hurt from me having to burp it. Runs fine and doesn't seem to have any power loss. My bike only has 11.5k miles and has been taking care of and not beaten or stunted. But I'm starting to get fed up with having to baby this bike unlike my last 650sv, I think are bikes are drama queens and bitch at every little thing that goes wrong. At lest mine is lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday as the weather is back in the 70's... I use the Castrol RS R4 full synthetic and a K&N filter.... the oil is about $9 and filter is $14 at cyclegear... just changed to synthetic from blend and wow what a difference... much smoother... i actually overfilled a little but still under the top line so i should be good but we will see what happens... anyone else use this combo?

2004 ZX6R

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just changed my oil and for the first time ever I get the oil light so I try the burping method doesn't work, so I try a few times only letting the bike run for maybe 5-10 sec each time, I do this maybe 5 or 6 times oil light still on, I started to here the knocking or ticking everyone describes, So finally I start the bike with the filter backed off and open the filler plug and then it worked and the knocking went away, but now my bike makes a new sound I'm not used to hearing and its really hard to describe is it possible that something is damaged or hurt from me having to burp it. Runs fine and doesn't seem to have any power loss. My bike only has 11.5k miles and has been taking care of and not beaten or stunted. But I'm starting to get fed up with having to baby this bike unlike my last 650sv, I think are bikes are drama queens and bitch at every little thing that goes wrong. At lest mine is lol
i changed my oil the other day and could not get the light to go off either.. burp after burp after burp. finally I tipped the bike all the way over on both sides. basically letting it hit touch the ground then picking it back up and the light went off. Do these bikes have trouble keeping oil pressure? Does anyone know at what pressure the oil safety light goes off?

·
Registered
197 Posts
i just serviced mine, and got told to burp it, its does work, but this time it wasnt so i just thort i bet if i lean it over and pick it up and back to the otehr way wit hte il filler off, it will flush round, and it worked :p

was very pleased :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
This may be a dump question but where should the level be on the indicator on the side of the bike when it is warm and when it is cold?

·
Registered
121 Posts
This may be a dump question but where should the level be on the indicator on the side of the bike when it is warm and when it is cold?
With the bike off, and cold, the level should be about half way up the sight glass, maybe a tiny bit more. But you must check it with the bike straight up and down (not leaning to one side). When the bike is on it sucks some oil up for the engine to use so it will show less through the sight glass. Just get it about half way when its cold and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With the bike off, and cold, the level should be about half way up the sight glass, maybe a tiny bit more. But you must check it with the bike straight up and down (not leaning to one side). When the bike is on it sucks some oil up for the engine to use so it will show less through the sight glass. Just get it about half way when its cold and you'll be golden.
Thanks guys, I was being an idiot earlier and forgot my kickstand was cut 1/4" at one point and the bike is now at stock height so it leans a bit more than normal, I put it on the stand and it is all good.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I've done a bunch of oil changes and never had to burp the bike. I did one today and came on here to double check cause the light was going off but realized as soon as I drove around the block every time it turned off on it's own

Also, what are the negatives of overfilling the oil? I don't really have anything to take out just a little oil but I'm only a bit over the top line so I'm not really worried about anything.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts