Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've read time after time of people having issues with their batteries being low on these ZX6R's. I had a similar problem on my Triumph Daytona 955i. So on the forums for that bike (triumphrat.net) I found the thread quoted below in italics. I did this mod months ago following the instructions as recommended by a member there and my charging/low battery issues have come to an end.

Just wondering if anyone has done a similar mod on the ZX6R??? Looking to gather some input on the possibility of this being done on our bikes. Any input greatly appreciated.:cool:

Heres the original thread....

I have owned a few bikes in the past and ALL - VTX, VFR, FJR, KTM have had what I consider a weak charging system...
The Triumphs are no different.

A short personal history: I spent 15 years of my life designing and building high amperage electrical systems for automotive applications. I learned that in order for a charging system to work & charge properly you not only need a good voltage generator & storage source - the connecting system has to be solid, clean and generally over sized...

So

I bought an 04 Daytona last weekend...upon arriving home, I gave the bike a good going over.
Fluids, air pressure, battery etc...
One of my checks is to alway test the charging system...so I took the seat off (HEY, that's where the owners manual is...) and broke out the trusty fluke meter.
Tested tha battery, and it read fine (12.6ish)
Fired up the bike and voltage is riding in the 13.3-.5ish area...Humph...low...
I grabbed the output wires of the regulator to test the voltage there and WHOA - they're fairly toasty...that's not good (hot wires are a dead on sign of either a bad ground or undersized wires.)

Upon further investigation, I found the same thing I found in the other bikes -the output wires from the regulator were ok size but once plugged into the actual bike wiring, it shrunk ALOT and ran the long way to the battery...

So here's the scoop (or the bad)
Triumph and other bike manufacturers down size the wiring in the bike to save on cost, size, weight or what ever thinking it should be OK but, In the real world, it isn't...
Not only is the wire gauge to small, but, although the regulator is 10 inches from the battery, the actual wires that charge the actual battery leave the regulator and go into the main harness that runs forward on the bike and aventually hooks to the starter where the main starter wire is connected and ran back to the battery.
SO - instead of a 10 inch run of proper gauge wire, they use a wire that is to small and way to long especially for its size and purpose (charging the battery).

The Good:
It's and easy fix...I had it done in under 5 minutes (I did have everything on hand)

*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*
Proceed with the following modification at your own risk

All you have to do is get a couple of piese of 12 gauge wire about 10 inches long - one black, one red (if you chose...you can use what ever color you want), some ring terminal connectors and a fuse holder

on the bike side of the regulator plug (a white plug), you will see (on an 04 Daytona at least) 4 wires - 2 brown, 2 black.
The brown wires are the voltage output
The black is the ground.
UNHOOK THE BATTERY

*right behind the plug (on the bike side of the wiring, not the regulator side), cut back the insulation on all 4 wires...clear your self about 1/2" area so you just have bare wire.
*take a small flat screw driver, and open up an eye in each wire (so you have a hole right through middle of the wire...this is a "button hook" connection)
*take the red wire, strip back about an inch of it and then insert it through one brown wire, then the other...then wrap it around both wires and sinch everything up tight (yes, you are connecting/wrapping the wires together). *keep tightly wrapping the wire around until it's all wrapped into one tight connection....if you chose a solder connection, go right ahead.
Now wrap the connection tight with a good dose of electrical tape.

*Now do the same with the larger black wire and the black wires in the plug.

*connect your fuse holder with fuse to the red wire and connect to the + positive terminal as you hook up the battery. (if you get a wired fuse holder with enough wire, you can directly connect the fuse holder to the reg wires and than to the batt - they are availble at car stereo shops)

*install your ring connector to the black wire and hook it up to the - (negative terminal) batt terminal as you connect the battery.

PROLOGUE>>>>>>>>
After doing this mod, I fired the bike up and there it is...14.6 +/- volts as it should be...a nice healthy charging system...wires stay cool, lights don't dim, bike runs better (better voltage) and more responsive....

When I posted this on VFRD, there was quite a discussion that ensued...if you would like to read through that thread:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...howtopic=29975

But I can say the every bike this has been done to has shown a dramatic improvement.

This mod is safe, easy and cheap.
The only reason OEM doesn't do this is expense and it would complicate assembly.

Good luck.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts