Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 kawasaki zx6r(636)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I'm new to this site. I'm having some trouble with my charging system. Problem started with the voltage dropping. I replaced the regulator/rectifier and for a day the voltage seemed to be stable. Next day I took the bike for a run and battery died off. Got the bike home and put the tester on the battery, started the bike and there's no charge. As the revs go up, the voltage gradually drops. I noticed the 3 wires coming from the stator that plugs on to the regulator gets quiet hot. I opened the stator cover and checked stator for any burn marks and I don't see any burn marks.
Please some help and advise would be very much appreciated thanks

·
Registered
2006 kawasaki zx6r(636)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the 3 wire at the top burnt out??
No they are not burnt out, I have tested the stator and the stator seems to be fine as all the tests. Tested across the 3 wires and got 0.4/0.5 which is correct. I have put a new regulator but problem is still not resolved. I'm think it's got to do with the wiring but I'm not sure

·
Registered
33 Posts
Only other thing i can think of is that the wiring as you mention gets too hot, it reduces in conductivity, maybe a lack of the wiring insulation??

·
Registered
2006 kawasaki zx6r(636)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only other thing i can think of is that the wiring as you mention gets too hot, it reduces in conductivity, maybe a lack of the wiring insulation??
Yes you are right, infact I worked on the bike today and I did some conversions with wiring. Put a negative wire direct on battery and put a positive wire direct on battery and I put 2 wires from plug on bike that's for lights and ignition and connected the wires to the plug of regulator and the charge seems good. 13.5 at idle and 14.5/14.7 at 5000rpm and lights are on, so seems like either the negative or positive wire is broken somewhere

·
Registered
2006 kawasaki zx6r(636)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys here's some feedback. Problem solved. It seemed both positive and negative wires was the problem. I have put a positive+negative wire direct from battery and connected to regulator and I'm getting proper charge thag is 14.5v to 15v(stated in the service manual) had the bike idling for around 20 minutes, put all lights and indicator on and its holding charge, all seems good and well. Haven't taken the bike out on the road yet. Once input everything back together and take it out on the road,i will give more feedback but for now the charging issue seems to be resolved and it was both negative and positive wires that was the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I attempted to do the same thing and it worked good for a day but then didn’t work the next day… any ideas what I may have done wrong?

·
Registered
2006 kawasaki zx6r(636)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I attempted to do the same thing and it worked good for a day but then didn’t work the next day… any ideas what I may have done wrong?
There's only 3 things that could be your problem. Stator, regulator or wiring. Contact me on whatsapp 0722189451 and I will help you. You need to do some tests with the wiring of the stator and regulator. Did you take a positive and negative wires direct from the battery and connect it direct to the regulator wires? You need to make sure that you coonect the wires from the battery to the correct wires on the regulator. Did you test your regulator and stator?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts