Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a question for teh newb's section, but can someone tell me how the charging system on a 2000 ZX6R compares to any kind of like car charging systm? I know it has to be different, but how much? I just got my bike like 2 months ago and am still learning about it. Anyone who knows alot about it, please fill me in! I think I may be having issues wtih mine. :(

Naz :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think you will find it is that different theoritically. It still works the same. It is just that the things are smaller and designed a little differently to suit a bike.
There is still a rotor, stator, battery and regulator. The battery and reg are under your seat (obviously) and the rotor and stator (alternator) is on the end of the crank under the left hand engine cover

Work gets in the way of things you really want to do

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Cars and bikes work the same way, just that cars tend to have all the charging components rolled into one part called the alternator/generator. The bike differs in the sense that the main part of the alternator is attached directly to the engine's crankshaft, instead of being driven by a belt powered by it.

This allows for less hp losses because of the lack of parts being a drain on the engine's power. No pullies, belts, or other losses.

Other than the arrangement of parts, there is no actual difference aside from maximum power output. Car alternators have to supply power to a whole lot more devices than a bike has. Rear window defrosters, blowers, huge electric cooling fans, power windows, electric fuzzy dice, etc. That's the main reason why car alternators are seperate devices (also makes ease of replacement a factor).

Hope this clears things up. And this seems like the proper place to post a question like that.

BC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my main concern, was WHERE is the alternator!!:DBut I guess now I know. Seems pretty close to a cars system from what ya'll have said. Where would I even want to start off trying to troubleshoot something like that? I have been thru the entire fuel system, not time to go to something else I guess. Hopefully I'lll be back on the road soon. [:p]

Naz :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.