Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 07 250R with 5000 miles on it, almost all put on this year. I have been getting the itch for something a little bigger and better on the highway.

I went to a local dealer and checked out the stock. First was a blue 08 ZX-6R for only $8200! I sat on it and I could almost flat foot it, I'm only 5'7. However I did not like the crazy riding position, it just didnt feel right. It is a bad ass looking bike though.

Next I sat on a red 07 650R (still new) for only $5200. I could flat foot it, just barely, and I really liked the seating position. Its not as good looking as a bike as the 6r.

I still want to check out the ZZR-600. I would really like a bike that had the look of the 6r and the ergos of the 650r. The lady also said the 500R is getting phased out.

I still like the 6r, is this a good bike at all for commuting? I could only sit on it with the side stand out, so I couldnt really get a good feel for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I honestly hate my 6R in the city. Love it everywhere else. Havent taken any long trips on it yet though. I have already begun to hate the seat, it will kill your butt for a while, until you get used to it or just change it out. The ZZR sounds like a better bike for you. You might think its a little bulky though. If your doing a lot of daily commuting, city, stop and go and what not, thats what the 650 is designed for. But it all depends on how you feel comfortable. If you're used to the 250, the ergos and overall design of the 6r will be a different world. the 650 is closer to what you got, and the zzr will get the sportbike transition going without throwing you in. One thing I think is very important is being comfortable on the bike. The more comfortable you are, the easier you can control it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I honestly hate my 6R in the city. Love it everywhere else. Havent taken any long trips on it yet though. I have already begun to hate the seat, it will kill your butt for a while, until you get used to it or just change it out. The ZZR sounds like a better bike for you. You might think its a little bulky though. If your doing a lot of daily commuting, city, stop and go and what not, thats what the 650 is designed for. But it all depends on how you feel comfortable. If you're used to the 250, the ergos and overall design of the 6r will be a different world. the 650 is closer to what you got, and the zzr will get the sportbike transition going without throwing you in. One thing I think is very important is being comfortable on the bike. The more comfortable you are, the easier you can control it.

Just wondering what your height/weight/build is?

I ride my zx6r on highway and city bumper to bumper traffic. I have no problems whatsoever. I am 6 feet/170ish lbs and in good physical shape. The riding position is agressive, and obivously due to being a supersport.

650R has a nice relaxed seating position, very neutral. ZZR is more sporty with slightly decent seating(never rode a ZZR, only sat on one). If you can sit on the bikes, that will help you out.

Another thing to keep in mind is, some dealers have a lot of 07 zx6rs sitting. Get one and you will save thousands!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
The thing about the 650r is that the front feels so void of contact with the pavement...the girl had her front dropped just enough to avoid handling problems, but still the bars are too high and it just feels really light.

It's a great city bike, but highway and when you want to push it won't be fun at all...also make sure you change the pipe because it just sounds like fucking shit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTuNz_j422U
^check out my vid

Buy a supersport, I'll never ride anything but a crotch rocket. Even when I'm 50 I'll be riding a rocket, something a little more comfortable like a 14 or busa.

it is a Wheelie machine, for sure and it does sound like ...... well ..... you know
freeway speeds it gets blown around a lot and the suspension is bouncy too.

but then I don't need a "bullet bike" :)
though my son ( he 's at cresson now with his zx6r) says the supersport is a must!

PS the seat on the 650r real is hard and uncomfortable

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go sit on all of the big 4.
I hate to say it but when I get off my 250 it's going to be a CBR 600rr or R6....with the CBR having the edge.
The ergos of the ZX6 were the worst (IMO) for daily driving.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
If It was me to jump from a 250R, I'd go for GSX-R750 myself. Fit it in like a glove for me. But then, if I wanted to stay Kawasaki, I would get the ZX-6R. But if you do not find it comfy then, try other companies' supersport 600cc...I personally wouldn't want to jump from a 250R to 650R since they're the basically same (beginner bikes) but different power/torque.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
5,000 miles is nothing. You took the right step in starting off right but don't sell yourself short and cut off your learning curve prematurely.
that's one of the smartest things i've heard on this board. there are CONSTANTLY things to learn about when it comes to riding. you're in a new situation almost daily.

personally, i love my 01 zx6r, now known as the zzr, for just goofing around. it's comfortable enough to handle in traffic and longer distances. the rc51 though, there's nothing comfy about that bike. it's nothing but business. if you go all out with a supersport, keep in mind you're sacrificing a lot with comfort. if you don't like the feel of the bike, how can you enjoy the ride? people always ask me why i take "that old zx out" when we're just playing around. it's cause the honda doesn't like that. that's like taking a trials bike on a cross country trip when you have a goldwing available.

check out all the manufacturers. nobody needs to choose for you.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
I hate to say it but when I get off my 250 it's going to be a CBR 600rr or R6....with the CBR having the edge.
I finally got to ride a 600RR around today and if you came from a 250, it's like that on steroids. Not only does it have a similar feel, but it has a similar ride to it (then again it's only a LITTLE taller than the 250r, but overall size it's almost the same dimensions). Needless to say I was hooked as that being my next bike. :D .

I'm in the same boat about the ZX6-R. It's an awesome bike and feels oh-so nice, but with the bars down where they're at and being a small guy (5'7") I felt silly on it. Perhaps if it was a track only bike I'd dig it, but being forced to lean over like that on the streets? I'd hate it! Moral of the story: Get what you feel comfortable on and be mindful of what you're using the bike for!

·
Registered
385 Posts

Same here. CBR 600 or R6 will be my next bike. I prefer a more aggressive riding position.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do a lot of highway riding and I use the bike for work, so I drive through a decent amount of beach traffic in the summer. I would like to ride a 6r, I just dont know if dealers let you test drive a bike.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
look at the 05/06 zx6r they are a pretty comfortable supersport, the zzr (aka the 00-02 zx6r) is a GREAT bike, & don't nec limit yourself to Kawi, the other manufacturers are pretty comfy bikes too

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just wondering what your height/weight/build is?

I ride my zx6r on highway and city bumper to bumper traffic. I have no problems whatsoever. I am 6 feet/170ish lbs and in good physical shape. The riding position is agressive, and obivously due to being a supersport.
I'm 5'9"-10", 200 even. It's really not that bad, but my last bike was a R1, and I got really comfortable on it. The bar positioning with stop and go is the only thing that really bothers me. And the hard seat. Small sacrifices for the bike though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really like Kawasaki personally, there aren't really any other bikes that I would want besides a 6r, zzr, or 650r. I'm not getting a new bike til next spring so I have plenty of time to decide,.

BTW, I am 5'7 and 150lbs, so I'm not that tall or strong, so I dont know if a 6r would be too much, it didnt feel to heavy when I was sitting on it,

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I think once you actually sit on a ZZR you'll like it. It has the same upright riding position of a 250R, but feels a lot roomier. I almost bought one instead of another 250R when my first one was totalled, but I realized I really didn't want a bigger bike. If I was moving up to a bigger bike I'd go for the ZZR or a Yamaha FZ6 Fazer. I really hate the cramped seating position of the R6 or CBR600RR, although they're great bikes. With a ZZR or Fazer you get the increased power you're looking for with the same ergonomic comfort as a 250R and then some. A lot of Kawi dealers are also having sales on the ZZRs this month.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Buy a supersport, I'll never ride anything but a crotch rocket. Even when I'm 50 I'll be riding a rocket, something a little more comfortable like a 14 or busa.
:plusone: ive been commuting over 14k on my 6r. and it doesnt bother me too bad in bad traffic. guess im just used to it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts