Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Havent been on here in a while. Been looking at some posts, but never have much time to post anything. Ive still got my N1K on the road, and LarryJ up here will be putting on my new Michelin Road 3s this weekend! Im pumped for that. Anyway, im still having a slight issue with starting my bike.

It being fuel injected, you would think the push of a button would start it right up, or at least thats the way I feel it should be. After getting up to temperature, it will start right up within a 2-3 hour time period.

But once I reach that outer limit, sometimes I can hold the starter and it will just crank, and crank, and crank....and so forth. Never catching.

I let off the starter, hit it again, and it fires right up. The fuel pump primes everytime I turn the key on, so im not sure what the issue could be.

I have an aftermarket slip on, but didnt figure it needed a commander or special tuning. The batteru was shot when I bought it in february, so I put a new one in it. Other than that, nothing has been messed with except running Amsoil about 3k miles ago. What could be the issue? :/
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I know if I have the idle on my 6R set that low it wont start and run for shit. I have my idle set at 2k. When it acts up does opening the throttle a little make it start? Also do you have one of those fake chokes that does that for you and are you using it?

If the throttle isn't open enough when the bike is cold, it wont want to run right or start for shit. Thats just the one thing I cant think of first that is a free to check thing.

If its running good "once its running and warmed up" then it shouldn't be a spark issue. When an engine is cold the compression is lower meaning it needs a richer mixture and / or a higher RPM until it warms up. So its most likely one of those two unless your filter is really dirty or something. But that the basic mechanics of it if that helps any.

There is always an off chance that it "could" be electrical but if that was the case it would probably act up periodically when warmed up and riding as well. Unless the ECU is screwed and its in the "starting programming" but thats doubtful.

Run some lucas or amsoil Fuel injector cleaner through the tank, check your filters (fuel and air), see of opening the throttle a tad helps, and get back with us.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will give everything a check tomorrow when I have the bike in Larry's shop getting my Michelin road 3s put on. And I doubt the idle level is the issue. It runs at 15 or 1600 until it has warmed up a bit. Like I said, the issue is pushing the button for the first time. I can turn the key on and off 7 times, hear the fuel pump everytime, and will never start the first hit of the starter. But I can just tap the starter the first time, and then push it again, and it starts right up. Its weird.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, opening the throttle on the first attempt does not help. I can hold the throttle wide open, and the starter for multiple seconds. No luck in starting until the second attempt. Its almost like my bike isnt delivering fuel properly. Like, its pulling the fuel on the first try, but not totally delivering.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
OK I get what your saying. Timmy got what you where saying and somehow I missed that part. Whatever is in your fuel pump that holds the pressure and doenst let it leak back the other way might be bad. With a bike as new as yours thats surprising though. But from the way it sounds Timmy is right and it sounds exactly like its not holding fuel pressure correctly. Ide have it checked out instead of just replacing the pump just incase its something in the lines thats cheaper to fix.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
We'll take a look and see what's what today. Worst case we can ask the techs at Cycle World when we get there. I've only ever dealt with carb'd machines and I've never run across this issue, so that tells me it could be the fuel pump itself, but I'm no expert. We'll ask the guys at the dealer.

I would personally run a Power Commander with an exhaust setup like yours. I don't think they would be causing this issue, but still I would get a PC or maybe do a dyno run and get an a/f reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts