Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been riding my 6r for a few good weeks, got about 700 miles in, takin all the back roads i know around here, and i still have chicken strips. i've been riding for a few years on and off, and never was concerned with them on other bikes, but its not an experience thing. i only have 1/2" or so on either side of my tire. i just cant seem to get rid of them no matter how or where i ride. basically, im wondering if thats common since i dont hit the track yet, or if my riding's slacking that much. how wide are yours?

·
Registered
364 Posts
where in central Florida you at? My dad lives in Clearwater and I'm up at school in Tallahassee. Theres JenningsGP on the Florida/Georgia line thats a pretty sweet track. For the strips....just ride and remember turns and routes you take, when you get used to the road start taking certain turns harder (in takng them harder learn the bike more) makes the rides more fun. I actually started riding with two guys from where I bought my bike and they have taught me alot about leaning and stuff since they both race weekly

oh yeah I have NO chicken strips:D

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
just big enough to fit in the sauce cup.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know it's hard-but I really wouldn't worry too much about it. If the roads you are riding are super tight-you'll use more lean angle and more tire, if you're riding more open sweeping roads (equally as fun sometimes) you just don't need to carry the lean angle. If you end up at a track and have anyone worth listening to giving you instruction, you'll find that they want you to carry even less lean angle and get your butt/body off the bike so you can maximize the amount of tire patch contact when accelerating.

I use more tire on one of my local roads thats got 15 mph hairpins on it and is a two lane "goat road" than I use at the track for that exact reason.

It also depends what bike your on and geometry set up (raise the rear, lower the front) and tire size your running. For example a 190/50 rear will show more side wear than a 180/55 because it's flatter and wider-although by only a very little bit.

Bottom line-chicken strips are great for a good hassle from your buddies-kinda like clean knee pucks-but what would you rather have-an uncrashed bike that you can enjoy-or tires that show you ride at the absolute limit??

My favorite answer to guys who ask me if I've gotten a knee down on the street is this-and it's true "only once, my knee touched down, then my elbow, then my shoulder and my head...."

Just enjoy the ride and relax-if you're hitting the "twisties" that hard, your tires will show it-just don't push the front!! Work on good lines first, then your speed will pick up and you'll need more angle because the bike is rolling through the corner better. If you focus on lean angle you'll have these fat-no apex lines-through the corners and they usually lead to a low or high side. Take it easy and Enjoy!

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
honestly it depends on the tire you have, corsa III's are HARD to scrub to the edge

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Don't have any...pretty good for a daily city rider!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
honestly it depends on the tire you have, corsa III's are HARD to scrub to the edge
And your form.

Body position has much to do with how much tire you need to use. I hang off quite a bit so it takes more speed for any given corner for me to actually use the tire to the edge. I've seen guys with no chicken strips but absolutely horrible riding styles.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
And your form.

Body position has much to do with how much tire you need to use. I hang off quite a bit so it takes more speed for any given corner for me to actually use the tire to the edge. I've seen guys with no chicken strips but absolutely horrible riding styles.
:plusone: just because they're gone don't mean your doing that well or "safely" everyone always says oh you still got strips etc.. & i just laugh at em, i hang off quite a bit myself & even more so when i'm really pushing it

·
Registered
10 Posts
The next day I got a new tire, tossed this one to a friend for burnouts and such on his GSXR750 stuntbike.

I tore up the sides of this tire proper, only visible "chicken strip" is the 3mm dust line on the very edge. I hang off a bit too, but at other times I am just leaning the upper body around for the corners. I ride everything from super twisty bits to 30+ mile commutes on the super slab. That's how that nasty flatspot ended up in there, daily commute on the interstate pretty much destroyed a tire with alotta corner miles on it. Now I have a wadded up bike with brand new pilot power's on it.

Attachments

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
chicken strips are overrated if you ask me. I know all the logistics, have been told my body position is pretty good, like 95% there, but I still have em pretty bad. My problem is I can't add the speed which is necessary to lean it more to use them. I can safely negotiate all corners on the streets which maintains a saftey margin and keep up a moderate pace. I refuse to push it on the streets, far too many variables. As others said, more body position less lean angle, bike is more upright= faster corner speed. The other thing is I really sometimes only get to ride ever 2 weeks or so maybe once a weekend so even though I've been riding for about 5yrs every few weekends won't overly develop my skillset much beyond than what I have now. Yes I've done 3 trackdays but the only real difference I've noticed in my riding since then is getting on the gas sooner than when I was. Hasn't done a thing for me to push harder/more lean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hasn't done a thing for me to push harder/more lean.

usually doesn't for anybody, just inspires the confidence to explore the limit of the tires (on a track of course) and find the limits of lean angle.

Swing into an empty parking lot after a 10-15 mile stint on the street to warm up the tires all the way and then do circles, watching to not hit painted lines and oil/dirt, and just keep getting lower and lower in the lean until you start scraping peg, or you start to feel the tires get to that "jello" kind of feel and trust me, you will be happy that when you get that "whoa!" feeling and upright the bike your in a parking lot and not uprighting the bike into the ditch on the outside of a corner.

Worked to teach me the feeling of being on the limit without ever really being in danger while learning so. Just my 2 cents and I am not a riding instructor, or certified to teach anything, just letting you know what worked for me.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
usually doesn't for anybody, just inspires the confidence to explore the limit of the tires (on a track of course) and find the limits of lean angle.

Swing into an empty parking lot after a 10-15 mile stint on the street to warm up the tires all the way and then do circles, watching to not hit painted lines and oil/dirt, and just keep getting lower and lower in the lean until you start scraping peg, or you start to feel the tires get to that "jello" kind of feel and trust me, you will be happy that when you get that "whoa!" feeling and upright the bike your in a parking lot and not uprighting the bike into the ditch on the outside of a corner.

Worked to teach me the feeling of being on the limit without ever really being in danger while learning so. Just my 2 cents and I am not a riding instructor, or certified to teach anything, just letting you know what worked for me.
Appreciate the insight, but been there, done that! My issue is I can't get faster than 30-35mph in the lots, they're all concrete and while decent (not a lot of paint or seams) you simply cannot lean a 350lb bike, with body position at that speed. Gravity WILL pull you down because you're not going faster to counteract it. I would love the chance to see it proved wrong, but I think that you have to be going at least 40-50mph to safely counter act gravity. Yeah Ive seen the vids of guys dragging their knee at 25mph but they are hung off like a monkey and the bike is virtually upright. You need speed if you want to lean, and our parking lots round here (and believe me I've looked!) just don't seem to be wide enough to accomodate anything faster than 35ish. I washed out last year in a huge college lot because it had a shitload of seams and I was running PP's. How fast can you get up to in a parking lot? Can you safely lean it more at those angles? I dont' want to wad up my bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to say, please, do not take this video as instruction, or anything like that, some rider buddies of mine wanted to see how it's done, and one is stationed in korea with the army so he is hard to reach but I have a camera and windows movie maker, if you know me personally this video is a laugh riot, but, if you don't, it can look like I really think I know what I am doing here.

I have the red helmet and the street fighter, only got the knee down like you said, hanging off like a monkey, but, I wasn't all that into the idea of railing it and all that shit so I stayed chill and just did it to say I did it.

My brother on the other hand loves to explore his bike and tires, scares me, but, what am I gonna do? He has some agressive lean angle on the vid and pretty much shows how hard a bike can be pushed given you trust your tires.

Sorry to hear you downed it in a lot. I suppose I must be getting luck to not end up doing the same with all the screwing around in parking lots I was doing at the start of the season to get low speed bike control back up before hitting the streets on a 100+hp bike. Gotta be able to control it ya know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_H47nUWW0

again, this video was done all in fun for freinds, it only shows speed, not how to, although it says it blatently right at the start "class time".... just ignore the stupidity of it.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts