Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at my tires after a nice run down a road condusive to steep lean angles, and I noticed that on my rear tire, the chicken strip on the left is about half the size as the one on the right. Just for info, so I dont get called a newbie, I put a 190/50 tire on my rear, which is 10 mm wider than the stock 180/55. I just cant seem to get the last 1/4 inch of strip gone. I have all but eliminated the chicken strips on the front though.;) Also, when I am at my tightest lean angle, the rear slips a little. The front stays planted, but the rear is sliding about 6 inches or so. What is the deal? Please help.

--Nate

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front isnt entirely cleaned off, but it is worn almost to the edge. There is a lot more wear on this one than on my stock front. The tires came off of a 2005(6) R1. The front is taller that the stock front. I dunno. They were free, thats all I can say.

--Nate

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the links to the suspension setup articles. I am gonna take a look at those and rethink my setup. Right now I get a lot of wobble and tankslappers. Kinda sucks, but makes for a 'fun' ride.

--Nate

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
if the front is almost at the edge and the rear has a way to go, that means the front will wash out in a corner before the back will. Change the rear back to a 180 before you bin it trying to loose the strips..

then just take it a bit at a time. Once the suspension is set up and a 180 back on it, it'll feel a much better bike to corner.

But you won't be doing it on a 190.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Dont worry about strips. You can take corners faster than your buddies and if you have the correct lean angle/body position and suspension adjusted properly you will be hard pressed to get rid of them. With a 190 if you have them pretty close to the edge anyway you are probably doing alright with your lean

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Some people call them chicken strips, I prefer to call them the "Wife and Daughter"....keeps me from pulling stupid shit so I have a chance to come home every night to their smiling faces.;)

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,023 Posts
It's all personal preference but I don't see the need for a 190. I say dial in the suspension, go back to the 180 and get that bike to a track. That way when you have company over for dinner, they will look at your tires in amazement because they are chewed and blistered the entire way to the edge. LMAO..."Dude, what's wrong with your tires?"

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It's already been stated above to check the following.... suspension, 180 vs. 190, body position, and lean angle.....

Is this the part when we all start posting pics of our strips?
:D

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are THAT worried about chicken strips and your manly-ness reputation that you get because of them, take the bike to a parking lot and do donuts for 10 minutes and you'll wear them right off. That’s literally how much chicken strips mean to me as a street rider....they don't mean shit! Someone who wears them off riding aggressively on the street should really wise up and take it to the track. There's no reason riding that hard on the street endangering yourself as well as my family, your friend's family, your long lost cousin and their family, the smith's and their families, and all of the people and their families that you don't know yet till you wipe and end up getting decapitated underneath their SUV.

·
28,939 Posts
+1 to what everybody else said...

*get back to a 180 no need for a 190 on our bikes

*if your outta tire in the front and have some left in the rear your suspension needs help...

*dont worrry about chicken strips

*ride your own ride and dont give a shit about what others think, if you can smoke em and still have chicken strips who cares

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its not a matter of pride thing, my friends, I have no problem keeping up with them, considering they are on a 05 gsxr1000 and a 05 r1. However, there is a lot you can tell from the chicken strips. Like, whether I can go faster, or whether I am pushing just as hard as I can, etc... Also, the ONLY reason that I put a 190 on it was because I got the tires for free. I fully intend to go back to a 180 when this set is done. The streets that I ride on, are unoccupied. I live in western washington, and there are many many streets that are rarely used, and dont have any houses on. I feel comfortable pushing it on those streets. I dont drag a knee around the smith household. Just stupid. Dogs, kids, people checking mail, etc... I have copied an article from sportrider magazine about suspension setup. I adjusted it last night. I was running, for about two years, one click off full hard all the way around with the stock preload and fork height.[V] I now have to go kinda slow till I get used to this new setup.

--Nate

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by Riding4life
Some people call them chicken strips, I prefer to call them the "Wife and Daughter"....keeps me from pulling stupid shit so I have a chance to come home every night to their smiling faces.;)
Excellent way to look at it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went out earlier today and blasted down some more back roads. No progress on the chicken strips, I think I am gonna just attribute it to the 190 rear tire. Oh well. Next time I am getting stock size.

--Nate

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
swabio act, what kind of tires do you have, they look sooo sticky

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.