Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 02 6r last weekend. I owned a ninja-500 before, and the choke on this bike seems to be really weird.

It almost has an on-off feel to it rather then the range the little ninja had. For example, with the 500, I could turn the choke full on and slowly let it out as the engine warmed up. I could pretty much maintain a steady RPM with it.

On the 6-r, I can't seem to let it out without pretty much turning the choke off. That is, there seems to be no smoothness in the choking. So I end up either running over 2.5k for a few seconds (Which I don't want to do) or running below 1k, which is even worse.

I hope I'm being clear here.

Is this normal for the 6 ?

thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like there is some slack in the cable. Use the manual to find the adjustment and take it in, easy as that.

Weird for a new bike though...

Who needs more cubes?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It was mentioned that the cable may be slack, is the bike brand new if so it is unlikely that the choke cable is slack, i had a very simlar experiance with my bike and the advice i could give you is if the bikes done a few miles check the cable for condition and you may also want to balance out the carb which is pretty easy to do if you know you way around a bike this could resolve the stability when warming up your pride & joy.

cheers john

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine has always done that - everything is within tolerance, as well. Kind of a pain, kind of hard to start. If anyone has a cure - let me know.

Ride safe

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just got in, my first post. Bought my 2nd Ninja almost 3 weeks ago (2002 ZX-6R this time) and my choke does the exact same thing. Guess it's normal? Starting cold requires more than just the choke, I gotta add a little throttle to get it going.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just purchased a 1990 600r from a friend. The choke does the same thing. The idle also bounces from between about 900 to 2000rpm (warm). Just rebuilt the carbs and synced them. I am lost on what is going on with it.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I own a 2001 zx6r and have the same problem. A few other 6r owners also have the same problem. My advise is that it is just a kawasaki flaw and to learn to live with it. After you let it idle for about 10-20 seconds slowly close the choke a 1/4 of the way and give it a little gas(throttle).*maintain the the throttle while you do the next step*.
Do the same thing every 10-15 seconds until its fully "closed".After its warmed up it wont do this after you crank it up the next time later that same day. hope this helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Same thing here. Have to give it a little throttle to get him going.
It starts though - that's the main thing I guess :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Same here. Mines a bitch to start because of the altitude anyway. Throw in a choke that doesn't work on it's own, and you end up playing sitter for a couple of minutes.

-gary
'02 6R

·
Registered
31 Posts
thought this was just because my bikes only don 200 miles and still new
can live with it though cause it makes up for it when it starts to move

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep..I have same problems with choke not working right. But if that is all that is wrong with my bike, I can live with it!

If I lose, then you cheated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My choke sucks. I thought it was because I have a Cali model....

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.