Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 02 6r last weekend. I owned a ninja-500 before, and the choke on this bike seems to be really weird.

It almost has an on-off feel to it rather then the range the little ninja had. For example, with the 500, I could turn the choke full on and slowly let it out as the engine warmed up. I could pretty much maintain a steady RPM with it.

On the 6-r, I can't seem to let it out without pretty much turning the choke off. That is, there seems to be no smoothness in the choking. So I end up either running over 2.5k for a few seconds (Which I don't want to do) or running below 1k, which is even worse.

I hope I'm being clear here.

Is this normal for the 6 ?

thanks.

· Registered
59 Posts
It was mentioned that the cable may be slack, is the bike brand new if so it is unlikely that the choke cable is slack, i had a very simlar experiance with my bike and the advice i could give you is if the bikes done a few miles check the cable for condition and you may also want to balance out the carb which is pretty easy to do if you know you way around a bike this could resolve the stability when warming up your pride & joy.

cheers john

· Registered
165 Posts
Just got in, my first post. Bought my 2nd Ninja almost 3 weeks ago (2002 ZX-6R this time) and my choke does the exact same thing. Guess it's normal? Starting cold requires more than just the choke, I gotta add a little throttle to get it going.

· Registered
47 Posts
I just purchased a 1990 600r from a friend. The choke does the same thing. The idle also bounces from between about 900 to 2000rpm (warm). Just rebuilt the carbs and synced them. I am lost on what is going on with it.

· Registered
4,264 Posts
I own a 2001 zx6r and have the same problem. A few other 6r owners also have the same problem. My advise is that it is just a kawasaki flaw and to learn to live with it. After you let it idle for about 10-20 seconds slowly close the choke a 1/4 of the way and give it a little gas(throttle).*maintain the the throttle while you do the next step*.
Do the same thing every 10-15 seconds until its fully "closed".After its warmed up it wont do this after you crank it up the next time later that same day. hope this helps.

· Registered
4,313 Posts
Same here. Mines a bitch to start because of the altitude anyway. Throw in a choke that doesn't work on it's own, and you end up playing sitter for a couple of minutes.

-gary
'02 6R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.