Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first fuel injected bike. ZX-6R 2004. I was working on the left controls and the choke assembly fell apart and it's a beech to get it back together. The thing is, when it was together, it was impossible to pull the choke at all. So, is it possible, or advisable to just eliminate it all together so I don't have to f with getting it back together? I was thinking about removing the whole cable n stuff.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
What are you? A dumbass? The choke is there for a reason. If you can't put the choke back together, take the bike to a moto shop.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Choke.... hmmm.... whats that? :D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It wouldn't move at all. It was fixed then did the same thing again. My mechanic just took it off.

G

·
the choke cable on my 04 has been frozen for a while. i never use it. when i start it up i just give it slightly more gas so it doesnt stall.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had the same thing with the choke being frozen. Purchased a new cable and when I took the old one off I decided to disect it. As it turns out there was a bulge in the cable itself where a few of the strands let go. That's probably what is wrong with those having the choke problems. A new cable costs next to nothing and is simple as anything to install.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
it's not a 'choke', it's a fast idle. A choke allows more fuel to run into carbs, which makes the engine run faster to avoid stalling. Fast idle just turns the idle speed up whilst it's cold, and does not change the mixture, cos the FI is doing all that.

Those cables (along with every other cable on every other bike) needs lubing once in a while, else it'll rust and snap. And it doesn't have to be your idle cable, could be your throttle or clutch.

Go buy some cable lube, take off all of your cables (noting how they came off) and spray cable lube down all of them and reassemble. Your bike will love you for it, and the couple of bucks on a can of lube (and lube up ever year at least) will save you heaps of bucks for new cables later on

·
Registered
432 Posts
Go to a dealership and ask for a "Fast Idle Cable" and everyone behind the parts counter will look at you like you hvae 2 heads...Ask for a "Choke Cable" and pretty much anyone will any knowledge at all will understand...

But if you would really like to get technical here is the information right off of the parts fiche...So you too there MR Bugjuice are incorrect...
Part Number: 54017-1224
Description: CABLE-STARTER
Source: KAWASAKI

I hope you find the source of your problem there Puncher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.