Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the 03 zx6r/zx6rr have a choke when its fuel injected? I know it helps it start quicker, but shouldnt the computer do all the work? I think kawasaki is the only one with a choke for the FI bikes.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It's not a choke. It's really a fast idle thingy (technical term) to bump up the idle speed while the engine is warming up if the fuel injection can't cope properly when it's idling and cold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh okay, thats good to know. So does that mean Kawi forgot to put an automatic fast idle thingy in it? I was thinking that the bike should automatically go into fast idle when cold.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think what it came down to was cost savings technique for Kawasaki for not including an automatic fast idle circuit in the FI system. Reasonably easy to setup, but, when you're building, what? hundreds of thousands of bikes every year, you want to save as much money as possible?

They would need to include an air temp sensor in the airbox, and a coolant temp sensor, and then include programming in the FI module that would close the fast idle circuit when the temp of the coolant is either within x amount of degrees of the air box temp, or whenever the coolant temp is below x amount.

Hell, I guess all they really need is a coolant temp sensor, and the programming that enables the circuit whenever the coolant temp is below x value. Cheap bastards! Glad I don't own a 636!

BC.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I think it might be a problem, if some idiots run the bike while it's still cold. High idle, poor rider means chrash I guess.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
It's for weight savings, all that extra equipment would have just weighed it down ;):D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disagree with you Ken, coz the cable alone weighs more than a sensor would. But its less stuff that would break down though. It just bugs me that Kawi overlooked something. I guess its cheaper to manufacture a cable than it is to make the sensor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Most of the FI Honda bikes until very recently had manual fast idle circuits. The R6, like the ZX's still had carbs until this year. It's not an "overlooked" thing, it's just the way they do it.
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Originally posted by tundra914
I disagree with you Ken, coz the cable alone weighs more than a sensor would. But its less stuff that would break down though. It just bugs me that Kawi overlooked something. I guess its cheaper to manufacture a cable than it is to make the sensor.
I was just joking anyways hence the little smiles afterwards. I find it kind of odd as well, but I'm not going to argue with engineers that get paid way more than I do to design these things for a living.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Very sweet, would look really good with a black frame too

quicksilver636 posted it a while back and it still gives me the jibblies, hibblie jibblies

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by lee955i
Most of the FI Honda bikes until very recently had manual fast idle circuits. The R6, like the ZX's still had carbs until this year. It's not an "overlooked" thing, it's just the way they do it.
Cheers, Lee S.
My friends 03 gsxr 6 has manual fast idle (FI) and so does his 02 gsxr K, i was under the impression all (or most) FI sport bikes had em.

Only bike ive seen with auto high-idle is my friends SV650S

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.