Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some Metzeler Sportec M-3s for my 01 ZX-6R I am brand new to riding and motorcycles but the reviews and descriptions I read about this tire sound very good. I don't want a super soft track type tire, even if it is streetable. I want something with somewhat decent wear, but I mostly want something that will perform well. By that I mean I want the best possible traction for a daily driver type of situation in a semi-wet warm climate. And unfortunately I do have budget constraints! I've seen these tires for about $106 front and $136 rear.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, good places to buy from etc. I would appreciate some input. If you have these tires, please tell me how you've liked them.

Sizing: I'm assuming that I take the stock dimensions in the manual and just match those (120/65/17 front, 180/55/17 rear) is there anything else I need to look at?

Thanks in advance.
DG

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,868 Posts
Doing a search on here will give you tons of info, but I'll recap to save you some time, and you can search if you need more info or what not.

You might as well stick with stock tire sizes. 120/70/17 is a more common aftermarket tire size for the front tire, but it will slow your turn-in speed unless you adjust your suspension by raising the forks about 5mm, give or take. So if you're not comfortable with that, it's just easier to stick with a 120/65/17 front. If you want more info on that, do a search on here for 70 section or 70 profile front tire, there's a lot of very informative threads hanging around. For the rear tire, I'd definately stick with 180/55/17. A 190/50/17 will fit, but it's just generally not a good idea.

As for good places to buy from, I would definately recommend finding a local independent bike shop in your area. They usually have the most room to work on the price, and I've gotten some amazing deals at small race shops around town. I picked up my Sportec M3 rear for 140, including mount, balance, disposal fees, and taxes.

As for the M3, I love it. It has amazing feedback, has a little more grip than a Pilot Power, WAY more feel, doesn't take long to warm up, and is very planted over uneven pavement. As for the milage, I can't say for sure, but so far it's not looking too good or too bad. Better than a Diablo Corsa, for sure, though...I'd say it's right about on par with a Pilot Power, but I haven't gone through too much of mine yet. The best thing about this tire is the feel, though...at lean on smooth or a little bumpy pavement you really can just tell what's going on down there...it's really just something you just have to experience. You'll know it when you feel it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I've been thinking about either them or the Pilot powers when my stockers are gone. Briefly thought about the Diablos, but they don't make it in a 120/65 front, but they do make the Corsa in a 120/65, and I don't wanna mess with putting tires of different adhesion levels on the front/rear. Would be nice to hear from some M3 owners though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dragknt,
Thanks! You answered everything I wanted to know! I was thinking of installing them myself... but that seems like it's going to be more of a hassle than it's worth, especially if I can get a good deal from a local shop. Thanks again for taking the time.

I'll be honest I didn't use the search tool, but not completely out of laziness. I just haven't had much luck with it, it doesn't give results the way I'm used to doing searches, I'm sure I'll get better at it with time. Also, since I'm new to the scene and site I don't know all the jargon to use, so the searches aren't as helpful....

DG

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,868 Posts
Originally posted by dgoree
Dragknt,
Thanks! You answered everything I wanted to know! I was thinking of installing them myself... but that seems like it's going to be more of a hassle than it's worth, especially if I can get a good deal from a local shop. Thanks again for taking the time.

I'll be honest I didn't use the search tool, but not completely out of laziness. I just haven't had much luck with it, it doesn't give results the way I'm used to doing searches, I'm sure I'll get better at it with time. Also, since I'm new to the scene and site I don't know all the jargon to use, so the searches aren't as helpful....

DG
No problem. I'm with you, sorta, on the search thing. I use it all the time, but there's just so many threads around on here that it always returns an ass load of stuff to sift through, so it's not always very fun.

Whylphobia - Why not on the tire adhesion thing? Racers do it all the time. If you watch MotoGP, for example, you'll hear Rossi talking about how he went with a hard rear and soft front, or what not. I ran a D208 rear and a Diablo Corsa front for a while...didn't have any mismatched-adhesion problems, but the crappy D208 was always spinning up on me, but that would have happened anyway. And as for tires in general, I love Diablo Corsa's. The grip is superior to Powers and M3's, but the warm up is a tad longer, and they don't last as long. Plus, the Metzlers have slightly better feel than the Pirelli's, but I was getting absolutely zero feel from my Powers, even after setting up my PSI. They were sticking, or sliding without warning. It wreaks havok on your confidence. I think I like the M3's though...not quite as much stick as the Corsa's, but more than Powers, and the life and feel is worth it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Qualifiers... didn't see them mentioned... stick like glue... and just used up a set for 2 consecutive track days... and man .... all i can say!

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,868 Posts
Originally posted by j_rokaz
Qualifiers... didn't see them mentioned... stick like glue... and just used up a set for 2 consecutive track days... and man .... all i can say!
What other tires have you run that you can compare them to? I was wondering about them, but most of Dunlop's previous tires have been terrible. I had a 208 on my rear, and the milage was great but the tire wasn't. I hated the bitch, and every time I rode I had to be careful of it spinning up all the time and offering no feedback at all, and that fucker just wouldn't die. It lasted for fucking ever. Less than half way through it's life I just wanted it to be over, but I commute on my bike, so I couldn't justify wasting the miles by buying a new tire with the 208 having so much useless tread left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.