Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinkin about cutting my stock exhaust in half to make it a shorty can. I know there are companies that make shorty slip ons but I simply cant afford to make the purchase. A buddy of mine chopped the stock exhaust on his 04 gix 6 and it sounds dope. Deep and throaty. I can cut and rivet the cap back on so thats not an issue. Ideas? Recomendations? Tips?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Do it. The worst thing that can happen is you ruin the can and have to buy another off of ebay for cheap. bummer.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Post some pics when you're done. Not so sure how it would look with the stock pipe though. Those things are pretty big in diameter, if you cut it any shorter, it might make the can look even fatter, kinda like a coffee can. But like pieEater said, try it and see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go for it. I just recently saw a brand new OEM exhaust go for something like $10 with $10 shipping on EBAY. Not much to pay if it gets messed up. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been trying to hunt down a stock can with no luck. nothing on ebay or craigslist. anyone know someone willing to get rid of one for cheap in the san diego/los angeles area?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i did the chop yesterday. I had a muffler shop do the cutting and spot welding. the stock exhaust weighs roughly 13lbs. With the can cut it weighs around 9 - 9.5lbs. It sounds pretty dope. Deep and throaty without being stupid loud. I feel a lil bit of low end lag but it picks up similar to vtec on a honda.... Here are some pics....i also took some video just for sound....when i get off my ass i'll upload it and post it....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gixxerjay - i kinda agree.....didnt mean to say sick in the earlier post..(misread). but yea...thats why i got the 2nd exhaust in case i got tired of the short can and wanted to return to basics....brotha gotta cover his ass...hahahaa...thanx for the feedback all the same

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i think the can its self looks good, but in my opinion, kinda throws the lines of the bike off. mabe, go back to the mufler shop, and have the pipe cut, so the can sits in the lower faring, and just the tip comes out. you could still see, but then the lines would flow better, imo, also if you do that, have it ceramic coated. not much money, but that way heat dosent melt anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.