Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a good degreaser for my chain/sprocket and found a good tutorial on youtube to clean and lube your chain.

The guy is a bit of a clown, but he has a real good walk through on how to clean and lube your chain.

In the video he is using DuPont motorcycle chain degreaser and DuPont Teflon chain saver lubricant. Both are available at Walmart (shockingly enough) and they seem to work pretty well. I was using DuPont teflon multi-purpose lubricant before based on opinions from other riders, but figured this stuff would be worth trying. So far I see much less flinging (almost none - just a little on the lower fairing when you fist take it for a spin) with the chain saver than I did with the multi-purpose lubricant and the degreaser gets the chain and sprocket looking brand new.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I know cleaning your chain is something a lot of new riders aren't sure about (including myself when I first started riding), but it is pretty easy to do and something that should be done regularly to get the most of of your chain.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was looking for a good degreaser for my chain/sprocket and found a good tutorial on youtube to clean and lube your chain.

Clean Motorcycle Chain - DIY Maintenance Series - YouTube

The guy is a bit of a clown, but he has a real good walk through on how to clean and lube your chain.

In the video he is using DuPont motorcycle chain degreaser and DuPont Teflon chain saver lubricant. Both are available at Walmart (shockingly enough) and they seem to work pretty well. I was using DuPont teflon multi-purpose lubricant before based on opinions from other riders, but figured this stuff would be worth trying. So far I see much less flinging (almost none - just a little on the lower fairing when you fist take it for a spin) with the chain saver than I did with the multi-purpose lubricant and the degreaser gets the chain and sprocket looking brand new.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I know cleaning your chain is something a lot of new riders aren't sure about (including myself when I first started riding), but it is pretty easy to do and something that should be done regularly to get the most of of your chain.
How's the dupont chain degreaser? I been using dupont chain saver as a lubricant, once I clean the chain, for a while now but I'm actually looking for a better chain cleaner/degreaser. I started off using the chain saver to clean and lube the chain, but that made me go through the cans like crazy lol. Been using wd-40 on a rag to clean the chain, but hearing a lot of mixed reviews about that. And honestly the dupont chain degreaser sounds good but I don't feel like shelling out another $8 a can to clean the lube and then lube it with another $8 can. But I guess I can use the degreaser to clean the sprocket area which is a plus.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I used to use the DuPont Multi-Purpose Teflon Lubricant as well, and I loved it. They changed the formula, and then released the Chain Saver to replace the old formula. So now I use the Chain Saver, and I like it just as well. I also have the DuPont Degreaser, and it works. However, the best cleaner/degreasere I have found it Motorex Chain Clean. That stuff is amazing.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been very happy with the DuPont degreaser. I spray it on then scrub it real well with an old toothbrush and the chain looks brand new. Good thing is that you can get it from walmart

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've been using 90weight gear oil for a few weeks. I oil the chain when i either get home or get to work about every tank of gas or so. I do notice I'm oiling it a little more often than with the chain wax. I'm not getting anymore sling off the chain than normal.
A plus though the chain is staying cleaner now. I haven't needed to clean it in over 600 miles now. The wax was trapping a lot of sand, i live in a sandy environment.

·
Registered
969 Posts
However, the best cleaner/degreasere I have found it Motorex Chain Clean. That stuff is amazing.
Agreed, I've used the stuff since I started riding and never needed to try anything else. I have gone through several terrible chain lube cans though. Used to love some Repsol stuff but I can't find it anymore.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've been very happy with the DuPont degreaser. I spray it on then scrub it real well with an old toothbrush and the chain looks brand new. Good thing is that you can get it from walmart

I wish my local walmart had it stocked. They don't have any motorcycle specific products.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I used to use the DuPont Multi-Purpose Teflon Lubricant as well, and I loved it. They changed the formula, and then released the Chain Saver to replace the old formula. So now I use the Chain Saver, and I like it just as well. I also have the DuPont Degreaser, and it works. However, the best cleaner/degreasere I have found it Motorex Chain Clean. That stuff is amazing.
The motorex is even more expensive than the dupont degreaser lol.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish my local walmart had it stocked. They don't have any motorcycle specific products.
I had to look around but one of the Wal-Mart's in my area carried it. Took a couple tries though. Its usually in the automotive area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using 90weight gear oil for a few weeks. I oil the chain when i either get home or get to work about every tank of gas or so. I do notice I'm oiling it a little more often than with the chain wax. I'm not getting anymore sling off the chain than normal.
A plus though the chain is staying cleaner now. I haven't needed to clean it in over 600 miles now. The wax was trapping a lot of sand, i live in a sandy environment.

I'm surprised the gear oil is cleaner than a wax lube. I find putting the wax lube on when the chain is warm gets it in the o-rings and prevents extra lube on the side plates so less dirt sticks to the outside of the chain.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont see a lot of fling with the chain saver. There is some there but it is minimal.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I'm surprised the gear oil is cleaner than a wax lube. I find putting the wax lube on when the chain is warm gets it in the o-rings and prevents extra lube on the side plates so less dirt sticks to the outside of the chain.
The gear oil isn't as tacky as the wax. I used wax for several years. But now i have a lomg sandy driveway and i am bad about riding dirt roads. :eek:

sent from my fone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally have learned the hard way not to use any scrubbing things on chains as it could add to the wear on the orings on a chain and chain cleaners seem to actually take the lubricated properties away from the chain. Since I put my last chain on I have been only using wd40 and it seems to work good, I use it to clean and lubricate at the same time. These things have been talked over many times, read up and choose what you will think will work best and use what you want to use. Your bike your rules :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts