Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what solvents or other methods everybody is using to clean there air filter.
In the manual it says to first clean it with a solvent and then soak it in 10w40 oil (what brand of oil are you using?) and squeeze it out.

Thx [?]

·
Registered
537 Posts
In the manual it said to use low flash point solvent, you can just use water and soap (liquid kitchen detergent works well). Make sure it's dry and put oil on it. For oil I use same stuff I put in my bike, Mobil 1.
Make sure to get oil out of the filter. First time I left too much oil there. Guess what overnight it all went into one corner, dripped down air box, and onto the header. I start up the bike and get lots of oil smoke. Had to take it all apart and clean it. (Not to mention how scared I was for my baby's life).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya Nexus. I used Kawi's oil, wow was that expense. Do you guys just use mobile 1 10w40 from any auto parts store?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have been using 30 wt but I think I will use 10w40 next time.

Gasoline is a low flash point solvent. Just soak the filter in gas to get it clean then dump the gas out and put some fresh in the pan. Add about half a cup of oil to the gas and soak the filter element. Set it aside and let the gas evaporate then replace the filter.

I don't think the brand makes any difference. Kawasaki makes some specal filter oil that is a neat green color.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use diesel to clean and then dip it in clean castrol motor oil I have laying around. And then Ring it out most of the oil with an old rag.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a manual that says "do not use gasoline or a low flash-point solvent to clean the element"

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
They warn against using low flash point solvent because they don't want you to blow yourself up and sue them. I wouldn't recommend smoking while doing this or doing it around your gas water heater. If you want to use a high flash point solvent buy some mineral spirits or Varsol. It will evaporate much more slowly.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good info I was going to replace my filter after the smoke clears here in SoCal but maybe I can get it clean with the compressor. I pulled it out today and it is BLACK from all the soot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am with SWJOHNSEY..Not a big fan of them..but if you put one in you can just clean it instead of forking out cash to buy new paper filters all the time... cheers

·
Registered
690 Posts
I just cleaned mine last night and boy was it dirty. I used simple green and dunked it in a sink full of water. It is very clean now and Im wondering what side of the filter to oil. The yellow or black side?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
This works very well for me.

Go to the local hardware place and buy a liter of "low-odour" Varsol.
Dump this into a 4L(gallon)"empty" container of ice cream.
Dip the dirty filter into the varsol, "scrunch out" the dirt by squeezing and needing. Then squeeze the filter over the container to remove the last of the varsol.
Take a few rags,dry the filter by rolling it up with rags and work the varsol out of the filter. NEVER twist or wring the filter! Bad for the life of the filter.
Go to the local bike shop(or on-line) and get some good "spray-on air filter oil", most commonly used on dirt bikes. Spray the filter on both sides untill satisfied that the oil is making the filter"damp" with oil...........but not too much!

Let the oil tack up and re-install.(about 2-3 min. or so)

For shits and giggles, leave the Varsol in the container and let the solvent settle. You will be amazed as to how much dirt is(was) actually trapped in the filter!!!

Hope this helps others

Jason

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I don't think switching to a K&N would make any noticeable difference for our bikes. On larger displacement engines, especially trucks (like mine), the biggest difference I found was gas mileage. Different applications with plenum tubes should make the biggest difference, but with the small displacement of our engines, combined with the way they are tuned right from the factory, IMO it would be a waste of money.

·
Registered
54 Posts
PJ1 Foam air filter cleaner, and then PJ1 air filter oil. The stuffs works great, dissolves all the dirt right off the filter. Then flush with water, shake it out a little, let it sit till it dries, then apply a light coat of oil on both sides with the second spray can. I'm willing to bet you can find it at your dealership.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.