Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my carbs off recently and happened to look down at my valves and noticed all the crap on them. I've been running some carb/valve cleaner for a while in small doses and it doesn't seem to be doing much. Anyone got a proven way to do a good cleaning w/out removing the valves? Heard a crazy theory from a mechanic once about poring a small amount of water through w/ the engine WFO, but was scared to try it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That one is true. Water injection will actually increase horsepower, too. But I don't think it will get the carbon off the back side of the valves, just the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That one is true. Water injection will actually increase horsepower, too. But I don't think it will get the carbon off the back side of the valves, just the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Be very careful not to put to much. Water is one of the biggest reasons for blown engines, because it won't compress like the gas and air in the cylinder resulting in blown rings and sometimes worse. It might be cheaper in the long run to just remove the valves.

Canada Kicks Ass

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
What brand carb/valve cleaner were you using? I've had good luck with Chevron Tecron Fuel System Cleaner, plus I tore apart a Chev 229 V-6 after using a bottle or two of Dura Lube Complete Fuel System Cleaner, you could have sold the pistons and valves as if they were brand new.

Since you have the carbs off, best thing to do is spray one of the previously mentioned fuel system cleaners directly onto the crapped up valves. Pour it into a spray bottle, and wack them full strength. Let it soak in for a while, then try to reach in with a rag and wipe the crud off as much as possible.

Better yet, use a tooth brush and scrub them good, then clean up with a rag.

BC.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much water are we talking here? Like one ounce down each intake, more? less? I think I like bc's idea the best, water sounds sketchy, I mean who has actually done this personally?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't do the water, you risk major damage if you screw it up. Just use the full strength cleaner (make sure the valve you are working on is closed, first), and the toothbrush. Much safer.

BC.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the valve is closed, won't in be "up" and unreachable? btw, I have used the techron, in small doses per tank, and will try it more. No water gambling for me, thanks for the tips guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.