Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime i start coming to a stop i hear one single click when i start pressing the brake. it only happens once, each time i come to a stop. and wheather its a fast or slow stop it still happens. if i pulse the brakes it will happen once then all the other pulses nothing.
it doesn't seem to be affecting brakeing but thats where the noise seems to be coming from.
it could be the forks, but i have tried pushing down on the forks while its off and get no noise.
please let me know what you think

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had a similar problem on my '06. Actually it was more of a thump in the front end. Turns out the stem nut was loose and the front end was moving up and down (a tiny bit)when the weight shifted during braking.

·
Registered
155 Posts
it is the big bolt that holds your triple clamps to the frame. it is two nuts and you tighten the lower nut to tighten the forks up, and then tighten the top one down to hold both nuts from moving then tighten the nut on top of the triple. look under your top triple and youll see them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Crazytexan is right. Take a peek under your top triple clamp and you'll see it. I had a friend with the special Kawasaki tool that I used, but it looks like you could do it with a thin flathead screwdriver and hammer if you're careful. It works just like you rear shock preload collar, only with another one on top of it as a locknut. Don't overtighten it though.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i dont think it is the stim nut.

more to add the click only happens now under medium to light braking not aggressive. and it always clicks when my speed is decerating around 12mph...
so let me know what else you think it could be.

thanks for the help shimminout and crazytexan

·
Registered
29 Posts
I *think* I've got the same thing - I assumed it was the pads moving slightly in the calipers.

edit: Also similarly, it only happens the first time I brake semi hard, if I drag the brakes lightly I can hear the clicking, but braking hard seems to seat whatever is moving. Didn't notice this with the stock pads, only since I put some EBC HH pads in there, hence the assumption that it's the pads moving.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mine does it to. I never can figure out if it is the folks or the brakes.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im still on stock pads with around 6600 miles on them so im thinking they should be replaced soon.
also it could be the forks becuase i have been messing with the preload, compresion and rebound.
but i dont think that is it. also it is alway at 12mph which is the wierd thing no where else. so strange.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a suggestion and wouldn't hurt to check but I would check the mounting bolts that hold the rotor to the hub. If one is a bit loose and has worked it's way out a tad it may be clicking against the inside of the fork. Reason I bring this up is because my buddy had a 98 ZX9 and he had a tiny clicking noise coming from the front and we could not figure out where in the heck it was coming from without actually doing a really close inspection. It was not constant at first then it became constant the more he rode allowing the bolt to loosen more.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
have the same noise.....all about good caliper piston retraction...and free play in the hanger pins for the brake pads.....been there...stem nut...replaced the head bearings....caliper mounting bolts cecked.......

although these things should not be omitted...check them over....

but due to the removal of certain flaps and crap,I can see the brake calipers from the cockpit, and can witness the slight clicking movement.

not as noticable with never pads....

sleep well

....LOL

·
Registered
374 Posts
I had the same click after removing and reinstalling the front wheel (replaced front tire) Its the pads shifting in the caliper and will stop on its own in time. not to worry, just ride

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think it is the pads shifting becuase i did just take the front wheel off to put on a new tire. im going to look over it really well tommorw and let you know what i find.

thanks alot for all the help and insight everyone.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was out riding yesterday and paid close attention to the noise we are discussing. My bike clicks ONCE during average braking at around 12 mph, Just like yours. Strange. [:M74]

I am not worried about it as it has always been so consistant that I assumed it was normal. I am still on the stock pads with around 14K on them.

Let us know if you find something.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, mine does the same thing too. I get the one click and then I am fine. At first I thought it was the pads being worn (8.7K on stock pads) but I searched around it this looks to be a regular issue. I have not upgraded to steel braided lines yet, but will be. Im not too worried about it though, it never affects braking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.