Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im in the market for some new clip-ons, oem ones are $120 each. Is it worth it to just get aftermarket ones like vortex? I found vortex ones for $145 each. I would also need to know what size to get as you can get various lengths. Anyone else have other brand preferences?

this is where i found the vortex ones.

http://www.forwardmotionmc.com/pcc-15-.aspx

edit: after more looking around it appears the sizes are for the fork tubes. i could be wrong though. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Squid question...what exactly are clip-ons? Is it an alternative to drilling holes in screws and tying them off?

:weapons81:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Woodcraft clipons for cheaper than that. Most track guys prefer woodcraft over the vortex clipons.

http://www.shop.superbikestore.net/category.sc?categoryId=79

any reason why you would prefer woodcraft over vortex? also im guessing i would need a 50mm? also will these clipons support all the factory switches and what not?

exilent- i have no idea what your talking about sorry lol clip-ons are essentially your handle bars

·
Registered
885 Posts
*EDITED for correct tube size after HARTLIN responed*

I have Vortex but despite what I have, I prefer Woodcraft.

Lenth is not an issue, the different sizes you are seeing is for the diameter of the fork tube. I believe the 07/08 ZX6R is 50mm

·
Registered
885 Posts
any reason why you would prefer woodcraft over vortex? also im guessing i would need a 50mm? also will these clipons support all the factory switches and what not?

exilent- i have no idea what your talking about sorry lol clip-ons are essentially your handle bars
Woodcraft come in a 2 piece clamp section. So you can remove or install the unit without having to remove the top triple clamp.

Typically the bars come with no pre drilled holes. you need to drill usually two small holes to support the switches and throttle tube, but that is very easy.

And yes, Clipons are basically handelbars but instead of a single bar, they "clip-on" to your fork tubes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ZX6R's are 50mm, I have Vortex's and like them, I would prefer the 3 peice Woodcrafts though. But I got Vortex's really cheap. They fit all factory components, but rather then drilling holes to fit the tabs on the controls, I just filed off the tabs and they work fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Sounds like all your questions have been answered already, but I also noticed you quoted $145 each for vortex. On the Woodcrafts it is $135 for a set. Thats both sides. Need anything else just shoot me a PM.:)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks Hartlin!!

BTW, I make my own replacement bars.

I buy bars in 4' sections and cut them down to correct length. Actually I think now you can order from the site in exactly whatever lenth you need so there is no need to cut.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/alumtube_6061t6.php

Order 7/8ths OD
.120 wall thickness
Part # 03-36500

I get 4 bars for $20- instead of like $20- per bar.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like all your questions have been answered already, but I also noticed you quoted $145 each for vortex. On the Woodcrafts it is $135 for a set. Thats both sides. Need anything else just shoot me a PM.:)

your my hero for telling me that the woodcrafts come as a set. i bet the vortex come as a set also however im going to go with woodcraft due to that appearing to be the preference. thanks everyone for all the help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Woodcraft kicks ass because their clipons are inexpensive and they have the cover i need for the engine, the dealership wants 130 for the larger cover and 107 for the smaller cover. woodcraft sells the smaller for 69.99 and the larger for 94.99

EDIT- so im competely wrong lol. woodcraft only sells the smaller cover not the larger. they sell a protector for the larger cover but thats it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
??

Alright, so this might be a dumb question:eek:...but what exactly is the benefit of switching out your stock bars for clip-ons? Is it for comfort, stability, aerodynamics, ergonomics, what? Cause if it would improve the feel or the riding position that might be worth it...

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Uhhh...
You will also have to *make* the bracket work for the Front brake res.
Or i believe some one makes a braket, but the vortex dont come with one.
dont know about the woodcraft

I have the Vortex, i like them over stock , but would like the ability to not have to take
the upper triple clamp to remove them

·
Registered
885 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts