Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed part of my "discomfort" on my 03 is from the angle of my clipons. I checked em out and it appears there is a lock/set screw on the bottom side to keep em locked to the upper triple at the angle there at. Is it a bad idea to remove that screw and adjust the clipons out a little? I think if I can adjust the clipons out a little my hand fatigue will decrease.....anyone else done this or have input?

I did the seat shave mod and it helped a little but I seem to be putting alot of pressure on outside of my hands due to elbow anlge vs clipon angle....if ya follow my attempt to explain??[8D]

thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
Absolutely try to adjust the clip-ons and the controls so that they're more comfortable for you. Everyone should do this to any bike they own, just be sure:

-that none of the cables or brake lines are being kinked or pinched when you turn the steering from lock to lock

-once you finished your adjustment, start the bike and turn the steering from full left lock to full right lock. If the engine surges or bogs, then something is being twisted and you're going to need to reposition the steering back towards the stock position.

-you're hands and fingers don't get mashed by the fairing or gas tank once you've finished your adjustement.

Overall, I'd suggest adjusting a little bit at time so you have a good idea of when you've gone to far, or if you need to look for something aftermarket to solve your ergonomics issues. Taking notes on changes isn't a bad idea either - and that way you can post here what exactly you did and how it worked for you:D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
that is to keep the clipon from rotating around the fork leg.
True (although it's also a cheap, fast and effective way to ensure that the handlebars are all at the same angle), but no aftermarket clip-ons have that screw, and many people (even racers) use them without any problems.

Just make sure that you have tightened the other bolts properly if you do remove that screw. Having the handlebar rotate around the fork leg, while you're riding, is something you really don't want to happen.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I broke the part off my triple tree for the clipon screw when I laid my bike over. Just make sure your bars are even and make sure things stay tightened down and you'll be fine. I talked to a guy at my local dealer who's a racer and he said it's fine. He also pointed out that none of the aftermarket have the set screw.

·
Powerhungry
37,957 Posts
hmm didnt realize that no aftermarket clip-ons didnt use that. makes you wonder then why is it there at all....
i know that when mine got busted, it did turn, just from the weight of the bike. that was enough to worry me, and make me buy a new one. also not to cheap either.

·
Registered
810 Posts
i broke the channel for that set screw and replaced my triple just out of pure paranoia. I did ride fro about 1200 miles without the set screw and it didnt move an inch

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Stop leaning your weight on the clipons. Learn to use your stomach muscles to keep weight on the bars to a minimum. If you have hand/wrist problems it is almost always because of improper posture. Use your legs grabbing the tank to take up your weight when you brake, not your hands. Also learn to relax your shoulders, arms, and hands and not grab the bars hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.