Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 1982 Kawasaki 305 CSR. It only has 2,500 miles on it, so needless to say it's been sitting in a garage for a while. I sent off the carbs to be rebuilt by a guy on specializes in vintage japanese carburetor rebuilds, and I got them put on yesterday. Bike still won't start with a fresh carb rebuild, fresh gas and new plugs. Getting plenty of spark, so I ran the starter and felt for exhaust on both pipes. One isn't putting any exhaust out at all, so I'm pretty sure a mouse has built a nest in it. I can't get this bike to run with it clogged like that, and I can't seem to find any information on how to unclog a muffer on the internet. Has anybody ever had to unclog one of these? Any help would be greatly appreciated, talk about frustrating! I hope the mouse was in there when I tried to start it all day yesterday. I hope the cylinder compression popped it's eyes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take that pipe off. see if it starts then.

you may just want to replace it.
It starts and has a weak idle when I take the spark plug out. Dies when I give it gas though. The problem with replacing it is that it's a 1982 starter bike and parts are extremely hard to find. Maybe I can stick a coat hanger down that thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont know anything about that bike. is it a twin?

and, take that pipe off, does it start/run any better?

you can try a coat hanger, but take it off first.
Yeah, it's a twin. It was my first bike and it's been in storage since I've outgrown it. I think I'll take the pipe off and give it a stab. The dead mouse I mean. Will post back with results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, found out what it was. The reason I wasn't feeling much exhaust come out the back of the muffler was because there was a quarter-sized hole in the bottom of that muffler that was letting all the air out. Cool. I took the pipe off anyway and the bike started. I revved it up a little, but it revved slow and weak. I'm guessing the fuel delivery on the rebuilt carb is bad. When I took away the restriction (the muffler), the engine had enough to actually fire up. The engine is so weak, it can't even push past it's own compression with the muffler attached. I think I'm gonna give the carb guy a call.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts