Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I came the clostest I have come to crashing a bike.

I was heading home through some country roads, when I come upon a railroad crossing I had just went over earlier in the day. I was probaly going 25/30 when I went over it, but my mistake was resting my left hand on my hip. In the center of railroad the asphault often bubbles up inbetween cars tires pressing down on each side. Well when crossing the track the edge of my front tire bumps the the bubble and starts a 2-3 slap tank slapper. I then grab the handlebars and am heading down a 5ft drop at 30-45 degree gravel embankment. I am sure I locked the rear but was trying to be easy with the brakes on the gravel. Then pass a power pole or tree, and then over a sidewalk, then driveway, then back up the gravel embankment and on my way. Scared the shit out of me...

I was only in the guys yard for about 30-40 feet

Lesson learned: both hands on the handlebards over railroad tracks

Anyone else have any close calls?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well today I came the clostest I have come to crashing a bike.

I was heading home through some country roads, when I come upon a railroad crossing I had just went over earlier in the day. I was probaly going 25/30 when I went over it, but my mistake was resting my left hand on my hip. In the center of railroad the asphault often bubbles up inbetween cars tires pressing down on each side. Well when crossing the track the edge of my front tire bumps the the bubble and starts a 2-3 slap tank slapper. I then grab the handlebars and am heading down a 5ft drop at 30-45 degree gravel embankment. I am sure I locked the rear but was trying to be easy with the brakes on the gravel. Then pass a power pole or tree, and then over a sidewalk, then driveway, then back up the gravel embankment and on my way. Scared the shit out of me...

I was only in the guys yard for about 30-40 feet

Lesson learned: both hands on the handlebards over railroad tracks

Anyone else have any close calls?
More like both hands on the handlebars at all time for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More like both hands on the handlebars at all time for me.
My fingers will go numb and my wrist wouldn't like it very much either. May not be the smartest thing, but under MOST conditions its safe, not on railroad tracks tho.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My fingers will go numb and my wrist wouldn't like it very much either. May not be the smartest thing, but under MOST conditions its safe, not on railroad tracks tho.
use your legs and grip the tank, don't rest all your weight on the handlebars and you'll see the big difference

·
Registered
734 Posts
yeah dude, hands on the bars and your butt of the seat when riding over railraods tracks, etc...
yeah, there's this shit piece of road just before my house that I have to ride over every day. They cut a line across it to lay a pipe or something, and the asphalt set lower than the rest of the road, so I have to get my ass off the seat to go over it. Usually speed up a little too. Find that makes it smoother.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I was going maybe 55 in a 45 and there were some bumps in the asphalt, i was sitting down not paying attention and i hit the highest part of the lump with my rear tire... Shot my ass about a foot off the seat and my feet about 6-8 inches off the pegs.

Scared me so bad I pulled over, turned my bike off, and rested after i took off my helmet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
use your legs and grip the tank, don't rest all your weight on the handlebars and you'll see the big difference
Yeah I have read this before, but I ride how I feel comfortable. With that said I think with weight or not my hands get uncomfortable after gripping the handlebars for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going maybe 55 in a 45 and there were some bumps in the asphalt, i was sitting down not paying attention and i hit the highest part of the lump with my rear tire... Shot my ass about a foot off the seat and my feet about 6-8 inches off the pegs.

Scared me so bad I pulled over, turned my bike off, and rested after i took off my helmet.
Had that adrenaline rushing and couldn't think straight for a min or two lol? Happened to me today and during my first 20 mins of riding motorcycles when a SUV pulled out in front of me at night and made me lock up the rear tire(55mph). She ended up stopping and I had to use the opposing lane to go around.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yeah I have read this before, but I ride how I feel comfortable. With that said I think with weight or not my hands get uncomfortable after gripping the handlebars for an extended period of time.
I understand.

I try to ride how I should rather than what feels more comfortable.

jm2c

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand.

I try to ride how I should rather than what feels more comfortable.

jm2c
Trust me the comfort of the air going through your hair far outweighs the protection of a helmet. jk

Just saying on a straight road its ok to circulate some blood through your hands.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Trust me the comfort of the air going through your hair far outweighs the protection of a helmet. jk

Just saying on a straight road its ok to circulate some blood through your hands.
haha nice one..

fwiw, I do it too.. lol

·
Registered
626 Posts
how about having a phone line (im guessing...some type of cable) swing down right in front of you, causing you to duck so your neck doesnt get broken? or pull you off the bike and under the car behind you?

happened to me yesterday. scared the hell out of me. cable came out of nowhere and ducked on instinct and saved my life. at 35 mph (how fast i was going) plus however fast the cable was swinging towards me (probably not too fast...) i most likely would have had a broken neck and been pulled off my bike.

close call...never know what might get you out there. but always keep both hands on the bars when going over train tracks, and if theyre super-bumpy raise up off the seat a bit and itll be a much more comfortable ride!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was riding with a group one day. Stagered in the lane. Third or fourth bike back. Well the guy that was directly in front of me is a complete ass in general, he was on a 650r and decided he was gonna be cool and pull a wheelie. Only he has to do it from a near dead stop because he don't know what the f**k he's doin. So on a road that is 60 MPH speed limit he nails the front brakes and slows to about 15 before dumping the clutch. In order to not get run over I went into oncoming traffic, as did the guy directly behind me, both almost hit a car head on, and just did manage to squeeze by without going into a 5 foot ditch. I don't ride with those guys anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts