Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

New to this site and somewhat new to motorcycles. I need someone to point me in the right direction. I have an old dawg of a bike, 1990 Kawa 750r-f touring model, that belonged to my brother that just passed away. The family was going to sell it, but I convinced them to let me keep it. It's not like it is worth much anyway and I certainly can't afford to buy one with times like these. It had been sitting for about 2-3 years as he was unable to ride any longer. He bought it brand new from the dealer when I was much younger. That's kinda why I want to keep it.

Anyway, I fixed a fuel leak along the fuel rail, igniter, cleared the tank, changed the oil, new plugs, dropped some seafoam, and bought a new battery for it. After all this time it still runs very strong. I even rode it down the block (straight-away) and it felt really good. Seemed like it had good compression and torque. The problem is, is that it smokes like freakin' crazy. I made sure to run it for quite sometime and kept a wet rag around the exhaust pipe just to control some of the smoke, neighbors hate me now. Oh well. I know that it could be the valve seat/seal OR piston rings. Well, between the two there is quite a bit of cost difference. I was wondering if there is a way I can tell which it is (compression test), or if it is both. I can't find any reference material on this bike. Or am I even on the right track here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
how much seafoam did you use and is there a possibility that it could be the seafoam still causing the smoke?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If it hasn't been run in a long time it could likely go away. Take it out (assuming you and the bike are legal) on a deserted road or highway (at night is usually best) for a nice long run at high rpm to clean everything out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seafoam

I used the appropriate amount. I believe it is a pint for a 20 gallon tank. I used about 1-2 ounces per bike tank. Also, I didn't put the seafoam until I ran the bike for about 2 hours. It smoked the whole time; before and after. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
then do like JustAJ suggested and run the bike under load. It may cure itself. could be something from just sitting for too long. If that doesn't cure it, you can proceed to other possibilities, but try the easy stuff first.

good luck... sounds like the bike is a keeper for sentimental reasons. I hope you can get it running right with little trouble. :)

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Leaking valves usually smoke a ton at start up only (burning off what dripped into the cylinder versus rings which smoke constantly. Could also be warped head or the like leaking oil and/or coolant into the cylinder.

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
Leaking valves usually smoke a ton at start up only (burning off what dripped into the cylinder versus rings which smoke constantly. Could also be warped head or the like leaking oil and/or coolant into the cylinder.
yep. *correction* leaking valve stem seals*

also, having sat for a LONG time. oil could have made its way into the cylinders.
it takes a LONG time to burn off a very small amount of oil. a small bit of oil, will produce ALOT of smoke also.

id think running it like suggested above would be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
If it is smoking really bad, I would say you've blown something serious. Normally an small oil leak like valves (stem seals) will not produce the james bond smoke screen you are describing. Blown head gasket, etc. would.

·
Registered
254 Posts
could be overfilled on oil too... causing oil to blow from the crankcase up into the airbox. but ya seafoam will make things smoke like crazy. if you pour it into the air intake of a car to clean the intake manifold down to the valves it will make a massive smokescreen and it takes quite a while to get the stuff worked out of there. especially if its also in the tank

·
Powerhungry
38,374 Posts
If it is smoking really bad, I would say you've blown something serious. Normally an small oil leak like valves (stem seals) will not produce the james bond smoke screen you are describing. Blown head gasket, etc. would.
im not trying to argue ur point...but..

when i redid my bros motor (22r yota) i oiled the rings, and pistons VERY well, when i was putting it together. started it up. smoked HEAVILY, like the entire neighborhood was covered, for ATLEAST 30 minutes.
i started getting scared, id screwed up somehow. it took forever to burn it off. finally it did clear up tho.
and that was brand new fresh oil. which burns easier than old crusty stuff...
im just saying...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Easy to check for a blown head gasket - usually there's coolant in the oil, making it foamy and lighter colored. When I managed to drop my Vulcan (is it considered a drop if you weren't even on the bike?) it smoked a LOT from the oil that leaked into the cylinders. Went away fairly quickly though. Probably just burning off the schmutz. Use the old adage of K.I.S.S. and try the easy things first. Advantage - you get to go riding! Sea Foam has never caused any of my bikes to smoke, including my 96 Vulcan with 30k+ miles.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Easy to check for a blown head gasket - usually there's coolant in the oil, making it foamy and lighter colored. When I managed to drop my Vulcan (is it considered a drop if you weren't even on the bike?) it smoked a LOT from the oil that leaked into the cylinders. Went away fairly quickly though. Probably just burning off the schmutz. Use the old adage of K.I.S.S. and try the easy things first. Advantage - you get to go riding! Sea Foam has never caused any of my bikes to smoke, including my 96 Vulcan with 30k+ miles.
It depends on how you use the seafoam. The OP didn't initially state how he used it. There are 3 ways to use it, in the gas, in the intake and in the crankcase oil. I've used it to clean the intake on cars before ans it will smoke like crazy :eek: for at least a few minutes, most times like about 15 minutes or more. I think it has to do with how dirty the intake tract is on the vehicle you're cleaning. If in the gas, then yes, it does not produce smoke, unless mixed over the recommended levels, which he did not.

Is the bike he has water cooled?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on how you use the seafoam. The OP didn't initially state how he used it. There are 3 ways to use it, in the gas, in the intake and in the crankcase oil. I've used it to clean the intake on cars before ans it will smoke like crazy :eek: for at least a few minutes, most times like about 15 minutes or more. I think it has to do with how dirty the intake tract is on the vehicle you're cleaning. If in the gas, then yes, it does not produce smoke, unless mixed over the recommended levels, which he did not.

Is the bike he has water cooled?

All,

I appreciate all of the help. I used the seafoam in the tank. The bike IS watercooled. I also thought it might be coolant also. My levels are fine and the oil is still fresh. Seems that I have compression. If it was a blown head gasket wouldn't I lose compression. This things has major torque and it runs great...minus the smoke. Maybe I just need to ride the heck out of it. Any other ideas? thanks again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
how come no one asked the color of the smoke???? sooo... whats the color of the smoke!?

·
Registered
221 Posts
gray is a weir color, id say oil as well though, coolent is ONLY white and a rich running engine will ALWAYS be black, carbon burns black/grey though and oil is blue it can be miss lead as grey though so its probably shit breaking off the valves from the seafoam mixed with oil, all i can say is if you got easy access to the carbs run seafoam through them giving the bike some throttle let it all burn off then spray some carb cleaner in them as well if you havent touched them yet im hoping its all fresh gas and oil didnt notice if that was said or not then run it through its paces should stop after 40 or so miles depending really on how bad it is.... but i doubt you have much to worry about just watch that oil make sure it doesnt start turning soupey (thin and discolord)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are great. Thanks for all the input and guidance. It's cool, when you can come to these sites and get this kinda help with no BS. Awesome forum. I will try those things listed before I do something really intrusive. At least i have been pointed to the right way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'd bet on it just being crap burning out o the engine that built up while it was sitting. Especially since you say it runs great. To answe ryour question - you will not always lose compression with a blown head gasket. You will lose all your coolant though, cause it will go into the oil and turn it bubbly with white globules in it. Like a lava lamp. Been there done that with my Vulcan 750 in case anyone disagrees about the loss of compression.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts