Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed a weird clunking noise. It happens as I get going from a stop. I think it's either suspension or clutch, as those two things are both changing when starting to move.
The clunk happens 2-3 times as I am letting out the clutch in 1st. I've tried listening to it once already moving and shifting from 1st to 2nd, and dont' hear it.
Tried bouncing the suspension, don't hear it.

2002 zx-6r, with 50,000km on it (original clutch, suspension, new chain last year).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1

Same thing happened on my bike...I cleaned the chain up (it was pretty nasty)...put fresh chain oil and the sound dissappeared! I'd give that a try...simple and cheap!

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
hmmm...new chain.....too loose??...doubt it....you know what you are doing.......

what about swingarm bearings loose/worn.....it's an easy check and rather obvious, but hard to zero in on when failed...

how about rear wheel dampner excessive play........

how about rear sprocket hub bearing failure..not wheel bearings, but the sprocket carrier bearing??.....

just a couple off the top of my head...

J

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Yesterday I noticed a weird clunking noise. It happens as I get going from a stop. I think it's either suspension or clutch, as those two things are both changing when starting to move.
The clunk happens 2-3 times as I am letting out the clutch in 1st. I've tried listening to it once already moving and shifting from 1st to 2nd, and dont' hear it.
Tried bouncing the suspension, don't hear it.

2002 zx-6r, with 50,000km on it (original clutch, suspension, new chain last year).

Thoughts?
I vote put it on a rear stand, start it up, put it in gear and slowly rev up through two gears and back down. Simple, quick and easy way to narrow the problem down.

..just sure the bike is stable.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I vote put it on a rear stand, start it up, put it in gear and slowly rev up through two gears and back down. Simple, quick and easy way to narrow the problem down.

..just sure the bike is stable.
Thats this weekends project, see if I can duplicate it when on stands.

Chain was lubed and adjusted a week ago, so it should be ok, but I'll double check

Bearings are a possibility, 50,000km is into normal replacement territory on some of them.

Thinking back, I think I could feel a slight clunk in the footpeg, but I'm not sure, I'll check on the weekend.

Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts