Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 636 but the gearbox seems a bit clunky, when I compare it to friends CBR's and FZR's. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, I only have 400km on my bike so far but I heard its suppose to get smoother after the break in period.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've got 2300 miles on mine and have also noticed it.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
My gear box smoothed out around 3000 miles or so....but it's never going to be as smooth as some bikes....

I doubt there are any problems with it....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I didn't think there was a prob, I just wondered if this is endemic to Kawi's. I've had Suzukis my whole life. (tragic I know)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
also I noticed certain brands of oil really helps the gear box...so maybe try a few different brands until you find one yuo like...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
To me it's a Kawi thang...

My '96 was clunky, my '98 was clunky, and so is my 2003, when compared to Honda or Suzuki boxes. It's still very accurate, you just gotta learn to be precise and firm with your shifts. And Andy's right, I'm noticing a difference with synthetic now, just a little more slick.

The OTHER thing I'm noticing??? Holy crap Andy's right on my post tail. Damn bikini topics...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just put some miles on my new 6RR. I think the tranny is awesome! Way better than my R1 was. Usually I cannot even feel the shift from neutral to 1st. I had some trouble finding neutral when moving but now it works fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
kawi's have the smoothest gear boxes out there. the new zx6r has a new slip clutch, more for racing making it a little choppy. but the old ones have the smoothest shifts. If you use synthetic oil it should smooth a little.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by NemesisOne

I love my 636 but the gearbox seems a bit clunky, when I compare it to friends CBR's and FZR's. Does anyone else notice this or is it just me?
Change to synthetic blend.

Feels much smoother

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by el415

kawi's have the smoothest gear boxes out there. the new zx6r has a new slip clutch, more for racing making it a little choppy. but the old ones have the smoothest shifts. If you use synthetic oil it should smooth a little.
The 6RR has the slipper clutch... the 636 does not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 6rr shifts pretty smooth going up through the gears but shifting down from second into first makes a clunking grinding sound, its got 1000 miles on it

·
Registered
321 Posts
my 99 6R has the same problem. I'm running mobil 1 in it right now and it seems to be alright. I was told to get the castrol syntac out of my bike so I did. Last night on my way home from work I had to do a nice clutch burning 3rd gear start cause my shifter stuck downshifting at a light. Once I got moving it was alright but I felt like a turd cause I held up traffic.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The more proficient in shifting that you become with on the 636, the smoother is becomes. Like everyone else said, the synth oil helps a lot. For me, I shifted the pedal down to get more leverage on my upshifts, and it has made all the difference. I have only gotten into neutral once in a month and that was because it was a pussy shift on my part. Also, I like the clunk into first. It lets me know to blip the throttle if I'm going hard or the back end is going to shimmy and shake big time.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Like I've said before, you have to have committed shifts, anything half-ass effort will notch somewhere in between the gears and often result in false neutrals. I rode the new CBR RR Honda, and while I wouldn't trade my bike for a 600RR Honda in a million years overall, the gearbox on that Honda was like butter, every shift was effortless. The Kawi gearbox is VERY accurate and consistent, but you definitely can't sissy-shift it or you'll miss gears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.