Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I need to make an emergency brake, and come to a stop with my clutch in (still in maybe 4th or 5th gear), I can't change down through the gears to get back to first unless I let out the clutch a bit.

Which way do I need to adjust the clutch and is it a simple matter of turning the knurled disk on the clutch line?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thats normal Aussie. The way I was told, it's a lot like the gears on a bicycle. If you just sit on it, without cranking the pedals, and try to change gears, what happens? Nothing, it needs movement of the sprocket to change over to the next gear. Now, if you are stopped at a stop light in 5th gear, and you try to click it down to first, its not going to do it, because your sprocket isn't turning. When you release the clutch you are generating this spin, allowing the chain to "pop over" into the next gear. Make any sense at all? I wish I knew a little more of the technical aspect...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh, that adjustment disk will adjust the amount of slack in your clutch cable. Look in your owners manual to see the optimum amount of play. I think its about 2 mm. If you don't have enough play, you're clutch will never be fully disengaged. If you have too much, it'll be hard to feel the friction zone - where the bike begins to pull.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.