Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if I'm just paranoid or if I actually have a problem.
The other day I was thinking about how my buddies clutch in his Camaro wore out one night, and then of course started thinking "what if my bikes clutch is almost gone"

Anyway, when Im letting out the clutch it feels like I release the lever almost all the way before its grabbing fully. I've gotta have someone else ride my bike to know for sure, but in the meantime, how likely is it my clutch is worn after 17,000km?? I think they nomraly last a good deal longer then that, but I don't blip the throttle when downshifting, I ease the clutch in a bit to smooth it out. I know this causes a little more wear, but hopefully not that much?? I've only done 1 trackday too, so I can't think of any particular reason that it would be worn.

Think it's my imagination or not?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My 99 has over 20,000 miles on it still has the original clutch. Your bike is still pretty much new IMO. I ride my 99 pretty hard, although i haven't put more than a thousand miles on it since i bought my 636 in June, but i clutch the front end up everynow and then and i don't blip the throttle when down shifting either> So I would think it's odd that the clutch is already worn out.

I'd let someone else ride it. I know there are times I think my 99 is running lean because it doesn't feel like it's putting out as much power as usual but i let my mechanic at our local dealer take it for a spin and he thinks it's running great for a four year old bike. Your probably just paranoid. Let a buddy take it for a spin and see what they think.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your clutch may have worn out just enough that you need to adjust the free play in it (free play in cable that is). There is a dial on the clutch lever housing. Give it a half a turn to one full turn (Clockwise (as viewed from standing on the right side of the bike)) and make sure you have a little bit of slop (free play in the clutch lever). Normally I think you are supposed to have somewhere around 3mm. If that isn’t it, or if you’ve already done that I would suggest trying a new clutch cable. After riding nearly 100,000 miles on street bikes thought out my life I’ve never really gone through a clutch, but I have gone through a good number of bad clutch cables. But, to me it really just sounds like you need to properly adjust your free play in the clutch. Is it slipping on you at all?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If your clutch is not slipping, it is likely fine. You may have to adjust the free play to 2 to 3 mm. You can fan the clutch on downshifts for many more miles on the road and the track without problems.

I do not blip the throttle either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.