Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

clutch dead @ 14k

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  kerNol 
#1 ·
Just out of curiosity how many miles are you guys getting out of your stock clutches. I just toasted mine after noticing some occasional slips for about the last 1500k.

I ordered up my new Barnett Kevlars and springs which should be in tomorrow. Now I know on the newer bikes the clutch is cable operated, but on my 95' its hydraulic, is there any adjustment to that besides the adjustment on the lever for rider preference? I didn't see any, but i want to make sure i dont kill this clutch to early over something stupid i forgot to do. Also you guys think soaking them for an hour or two is good? Depending on when they arrive they might even soak overnight.

-J
95' ZX9R Fully Muzzy w/ Factory Pro 1.7

#2 ·
i know of a guy with a 98 that has done over 65,000 miles on the stock clutch

my 98 started slipping really badly once i got it tuned well (full akra, +4 advancer, FP jetkit, meshless filter) ... pulled the clutch out and the fibres, steels and springs all measured well within spec, even looked brand new (only had 17,000 miles on it then) ... i shimmed the springs with some 10mm washers (had to machine the holes out to about 14mm for them to fit) and no slip any more, lever didnt feel any different either.

#4 ·
I've got almost 23k on my stock springs, but then again; I don't abuse the clutch the way some riders do... no clutch-ups or burnouts.

#5 ·
I'll admit I ride the bike hard, but then again I got the bike with about 8k on it. So who knows how it spent the early years of its life. I got the Barnett Kevlar clutch today along with the HD springs for it. So once I get some time, everything should be good to go.

#11 ·
Originally posted by kerNol
So I finally got time to get the clutch and new springs in today, whats the average rule of thumb for break in on these wet clutches before going out and really beating on them?

It's not like a car. When your clutch is in, it's time to abuse it. There is no break in period....just have fun! I went with stock replacement friction plates and GSX-R 1k springs(same as zx-9). Most people seem to think the stock plates with stiffer springs(zx-6, barnett, etc.) is the best way to go, but I'd be interested to see how you like your clutch. Post up on how you like it.

#13 ·
Originally posted by KawBoy81
I wasnt aware of that Killa....since im due for some clutches ima try out dem springs with some barnett plates
Personally I say stock plates and fibers from Ronayers.com, with brock springs. Should be the last set-up u would buy for a while unless you are just super brutal with the left hand!!

#14 ·
Well I got about 300 miles on the clutch now and this thing is very very nice. Its engagement is smooth and grippy but not harsh. I did talk to Barnett about a break-in and they suggested when re-using any steels that you dont immediately beat on the bike due in fact that some of the steels could be slightly glazed over from the previous clutch. I did notice something along those lines when I first took the bike out, initially I was taking it easy then just had to jump on it once in 2nd gear from about 5k and it let out a slight slip, so I immediately got off the throttle. Before anyone says the slip could have been an issue with the steels being warped or clutch play being off, i checked it all and everythings within spec. So after that I took it easy and put about 100 miles on the clutch and from there on out i've been riding it hard and have had no issues, I highly recommend the Barnett Kevlars and their HD spring's. While I'm sure you could do better on the springs as the Barnetts I believe have the same spring pressure as stock, its just a much heavier spring, they definately will work for me and if they provide to not be enough, ill find out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.