Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've noticed this issue in the past but very rare, however ever since my recent oil change this issue has become more frequent.

if i come to a complete stop in a gear 2nd or higher i can't down shift to 1st:mad:. I had to stop for a quick changing light so i stop in 4th gear but found myself unable to change to 1st when the light turned green, i had to turn off the bike and restart it to be able to down shift again. This also happen later when i pulled into my driveway in 2nd, when i stopped i couldn't shift down. i've noticed a few things, i can let out the clutch a little just before the friction point than pull it back in and i was able to shift again.

i did a quick search on this, found people with the same issue on CBR125 and R6 forums.

so is this normal to all bikes? and why am i seeing more of this now, after the oil change? i just don't want this to be a clutch problem.

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
if you shift down and you're stationary it wont go into gear.

shift and then use your feet to push the bike a few inches.
it should go into gear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same thing is happening to me.
I do what ACC88 said but its kinda annoying always to do that.
What is causing that tho? I went from conventional to synthetic if that matters

·
Registered
80 Posts
You should be downshifting as you are coming to a stop.. Should only hold the clutch in a high gear if you have to do E breaking

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have this issue on my 07 zx6... What i do is hit the pedal and then release the clutch A TINY BIT WHILE SITTING STILL AT THE LIGHT and it will drop into gear... i do this repeatedly until i get to 1st... hope is helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try your best to get to first gear before you stop, but if you don't you can roll the bike a bit while attempting to shift down and it'll engage.

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
I have this issue on my 07 zx6... What i do is hit the pedal and then release the clutch A TINY BIT WHILE SITTING STILL AT THE LIGHT and it will drop into gear... i do this repeatedly until i get to 1st... hope is helps
this as well...release enough to slightly engage

·
Powerhungry
38,203 Posts
i've noticed this issue in the past but very rare, however ever since my recent oil change this issue has become more frequent.

if i come to a complete stop in a gear 2nd or higher i can't down shift to 1st:mad:. I had to stop for a quick changing light so i stop in 4th gear but found myself unable to change to 1st when the light turned green, i had to turn off the bike and restart it to be able to down shift again. This also happen later when i pulled into my driveway in 2nd, when i stopped i couldn't shift down. i've noticed a few things, i can let out the clutch a little just before the friction point than pull it back in and i was able to shift again.

i did a quick search on this, found people with the same issue on CBR125 and R6 forums.

so is this normal to all bikes? and why am i seeing more of this now, after the oil change? i just don't want this to be a clutch problem.
thats normal. and what you're supposed to do.
the transmission is designed to shift while in motion, not when stopped.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Make sure you are shifted into first before you stop

If you find that you are not in first, click down one gear, slowly let the clutch out until it engages the gear (or roll the bike but using the clutch is easier). Bike must be running for it to work. Let the clutch out for each gear (not necessary for first though when stopping) when downshifting, that will make sure you are engaging the next gear.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
What everyone has said. This is a "problem" endemic to all motorcycles.

The gearbox should be in motion when it's shifting. You might be able to shift from 6th to 1st while stationary but most times you won't make it too far.

As others have said, you should be downshifting as you slow down. Stay in the habit of keeping your gear matched to your speed, that way you can get out of there in a hurry if you need to.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
You DO NOT need to let the clutch out for each gear change while moving.

·
Powerhungry
38,203 Posts
You DO NOT need to let the clutch out for each gear change while moving.
i know we've been over this before. but, yes on my bike i do. id say 50% of the time it wont shift unless i release the clutch.
so its not fair to say that you dont need to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
most of the time i do shift down to 1st when coming to a stop light and i do try and match my speed to the road speed. whats odd is i've had this bike for more than a month and haven't seen much of this issue till now after the oil change i did. thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You should be downshifting as you are coming to a stop.. Should only hold the clutch in a high gear if you have to do E breaking
Spot on.

The shift mechanism of a motorcycle sequential gear box needs the shift pawl to be reset after each shift. For this to happen you must ensure that your foot is clear of the lever and the gearbox has to be turning. Stopping in a high gear means that you have to shuffle the bike a bit with the clutch partly engaged between each shift.

As this is a purely mechanical action switching the engine off doesn't really make any difference.

You can (and should) come to a stop using the brakes, holding the clutch in, and shifting down as you slow so that the selected gear matches the road speed but without releasing the clutch. If you're only slowing very gently you might want to release the clutch after each, or some, of the the downshifts, but it isn't necessary.

If it won't shift down without releasing the clutch you're not matching the gear to the road speed properly or you have a worn or incorrectly adjusted chain.

One useful trick when stopping is to flick from 2nd to neutral just before you stop. It's especially useful on bike where neutral is otherwise hard to find. It can leave you stuck if you suddenly need a little power though, so I'm not suggesting that you do this, although I have a very bad habit of doing it all the time.

And getting stuck in gear at a stop happens to all of us once in a while.

Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts