Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there, I guess I'm somewhat new to the site although I've been lurking around. I finally got my 250R (well its at the dealer) and I've been waiting since about may. my dealership let me know that the '09s in canada were going to be more expensive ($4399 here in canada), that there would be no green (the colour I wanted), and that they weren;t getting an for a little while longer. They somehow got an '08 last friday, a red one brand new and they offered it to me for $3999 so I took it.

I went in Saturday to finish off some paperwork and give them my insurance info and to my surprise they had already assembled the bike and were showing it off in the showroom, they haven;t had one there since april. I sat on it and got a good feel for it and I couldn;t help but notice how the clutch level felt like crap.

All the other bike had smooth, solid-feeling clutch levers, but mine felt a little wobbly and you had to pull it back about a centimeter to get any kind of tension or feel for the cable. Is that normal on a cheaper bike like this or should i be complaining before i pick up the bike next weekend?

anyways, here's a pic of my new toy:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same problem. I tried tightening some bolts, but it didn't help. My biggest peeve is how i can move the lever up and down slightly. Its also on the front brake lever. kkim, you know how to adjust this?

·
Powerhungry
38,158 Posts
I have the same problem. I tried tightening some bolts, but it didn't help. My biggest peeve is how i can move the lever up and down slightly. Its also on the front brake lever. kkim, you know how to adjust this?
Pretty cool!

my 636 is the same. you could always pull the pin, and slide some thin spacers in there to take up some of the slop. SOME tho. it needs to move freely. you dont want it binding up. after awhile, you wont even notice it. well..it probably wont bother you atleast.;)

Just loosen the bolts at the perch to adjust up/down on levers. The clutch has 1 bolt & the brake has two(see pic).
hes talking about the slop, of the lever, up/down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hes talking about the slop, of the lever, up/down.
yeah, do i just have to deal with that? I don't mean the whole foundation of the levers, just the actual lever lever. But if I needed to know how to adjust the whole thing including the foundation, that picture was very nice, hkr1!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nevada add this in the qoute:

my 636 is the same. you could always pull the pin, and slide some thin spacers in there to take up some of the slop. SOME tho. it needs to move freely. you dont want it binding up. after awhile, you wont even notice it. well..it probably wont bother you atleast ;)

Ours doesnt really flop up/down much. Would be some pretty small shims, maybe nylon ones........

·
Registered
315 Posts
You are not talking about the clutch travel, right?? If you are, there SHOULD be about 2-3 mm of play. More than that and you have to adjust (in the manual).

·
Registered
249 Posts
Classic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance technique for this problem. Cut shims out of a soda can, insert. Problem solved.

I just deal with it though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i let my dealer know today. i guess i'll see when i pick it up if they did anythign about it, if not, i guess i'll jsut deal with it or do my own tuning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts