Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Ninja 650r that is giving me trouble. After pulling on the clutch lever and letting go it doesn't return to it's outward position. I pulled both ends of the cable to play with the release arm and shaft at the clutch which moves freely forwards and backwards with no tension. Removed clutch cover for visual inspection. Would it be clutch springs? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is the Clutch arm return spring ok the small one on top of the clutch cover at the base of the Arm, They tend to snap.
If you still have the cover off can you take a picture of the clutch and post it one here ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At work right now. Will post pictures after I'm off. The release spring seems okay. When I have the cover off it has tension.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It was unlikely that small spring was the culprit but pictures when you get time would be a good start.. (y)

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
124 Posts
Is the Clutch arm return spring ok the small one on top of the clutch cover at the base of the Arm, They tend to snap.
If you still have the cover off can you take a picture of the clutch and post it one here ?
I have mine removed because it broke, it doesn't change anything, not even the slightest bit of endplay. It's likely loose/broken springs or the actuator seized. TBH sounds like the freeplay might be insanely big too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the clutch springs, none of which are broken and still feel tight. Don't know of any other springs. What is the actuator?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
124 Posts
I pulled the clutch springs, none of which are broken and still feel tight. Don't know of any other springs. What is the actuator?
The pushrod that spreads the clutch pack apart. I reckon you'd need to do a video because the clutch is rather simple and this is pretty much all the possibilities, it's either: Lever, cable, clutch springs, or stuck actuator. Can't be much more than this. Does the clutch pack come out easily from the basket? When you removed the springs does it move freely?

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
124 Posts

Here is a picture of the whole assembly just to make it a bit clearer the cable hooks into the top of the clutch release. I'd check the interaction with the clutch release and the push rod, take the clutch springs out and the bolts back in, put the cover back on so it's in place, so as if it was fully together but without the springs in it and se if the clutch moves freely apart from this the only other thing i can think of is maybe you put non motorcycle specific oil in and the clutch is sticking or something

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome feedback. At work right now but will definitely work my way through the list after I'm off. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd check the interaction with the clutch release and the push rod,
I was thinking the same thing. Is this a new to you bike, or have you been using it previously with no issues? I wonder if someone might have replaced the clutch and then did not get the release shaft seated on the push rod properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. I bought it from a local Sheriff's auction (got layed down in a high speed chase) with the intention of bringing it back to it's former glory. Was in pretty bad shape when I got it, but the learning experience has been fun. No telling how the bike had been previously treated. I ordered some new clutch springs and am waiting for arrival to install. From what I can tell the rod and release arm are engaging each other.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please update when you find out the problem, I am interested in how this turns out. I had a 2009 650R, it was a great bike, I ran the crap out of that thing for over 9 years and never had an issue. Missed a few shifts and went way past the redline. It was a pretty bulletproof engine. Traded it in for Ninja 1000.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts