Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Here's what's going down. While riding yesterday, I noticed my clutch was not shifting periodically and the pressure in the lever had less range than usual. Once I ended my ride I had trouble putting it in neutral and when it was in 1st while at a stop the bike wanted to slowly move forward, like the clutch wass very slightly engaged. this is the main issue I'm having. I drained the oil and dismantled the clutch (as in took all the plates out) and didn't see anything unusual and the plates were in great condition. I did notice a small friction pattern on the clutch cover right above where the pin attached to the clutch cable joins the clutch itself inside the manifold.

The only thing to add is the day before this I changed my oil from a pretty cheap oil to Royal Purple 15W-40 high performance oil (not the motorcycle specific). Someone told me that the change in oil may have made the plates expand slightly causing the clutch to act like it was. In this same day, I heard a sound from the engine like loose metal being thrown around for a second with no performance loss. this happened twice.

If I can answer any questions about this I'd be glad to. I just don't see what is going wrong from opening the clutch. I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Zac

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The clutch discs are now ruined by the use of the wrong oil. That being said, it sounds like the throwout bearing might be giving you trouble also.

·
Pursebully
36,872 Posts
The clutch discs are now ruined by the use of the wrong oil. That being said, it sounds like the throwout bearing might be giving you trouble also.
This. Breathe easy knowing that you fixed your problem though...the clutch will now begin to slip.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This. Breathe easy knowing that you fixed your problem though...the clutch will now begin to slip.
I was about to jump on you two about "right and wrong" motor oils, but then I looked up what he used.

Yeah, any 'energy saving' oils are a no-go for motorcycles, OP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thanks for the input. A couple questions though.

About the Royal Purple HPS. Why is it damaging to my 2006 Ninja 500? From what I have read online, it shouldn't be a problem to use it in my bike. Could you please link me to information stating that I should not use it with my bike.

After inspecting my clutch cable, I discovered that half of the cable was frayed, so I have a new one on the way.

One thing that is still mysterious is the rub mark on the clutch cover. Here is a photo. It lines up perfectly with a ridge of the outer plate cover thing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
From Royal Purple themselves: http://royalpurpleindustrial.com/assets/Royal-Purple-Motor-Oil-product-sheet.pdf, http://royalpurpleindustrial.com/assets/PS_API_MotorOIl1.pdf, http://royalpurpleindustrial.com/products/royal-purple-motor-oil/

Performance Advantages:
•Greater Wear Protection
Royal Purple’s advanced additive technologies form a tough,
tenacious film on all metal surfaces virtually eliminating
engine wear.

We don't want stuff on our clutch plates.

But the real kickers are:

•Saves Fuel
Royal Purple Motor Oil’s low coefficient of friction routinely
produces meaningful improvements in fuel economy.

and

•Environmentally Responsible
Royal Purple Motor Oil components ... conserves energy.

And yeah, a destroyed cable doesn't help. No idea what that marking is, though.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

·
Pursebully
36,872 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright thanks for the help. I don't really know that much about motorcycles as I just got this one about 5 months ago and it is my first. I am still a bit in the dark. I hear what you guys are saying but my mind finds it odd that a high quality oil would cause the friction plates to slip in a wet clutch. I just find that very strange... There are people out there who use Royal Purple in their bikes I'm sure... I understand that Royal Purple reduces friction by a large degree more than most other oil, but is it really so much so that using it ruins the clutch plates??? I need data on this. Sorry I can't just take your word on a forum. If you have a link to information stating that this kind of oil ruins a wet clutch in a Ninja 500 I would greatly appreciate it.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just trying to understand as fully as possible. Thanks for all the input fellas.

Any idea about that scrape mark?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Alright thanks for the help. I don't really know that much about motorcycles as I just got this one about 5 months ago and it is my first. I am still a bit in the dark. I hear what you guys are saying but my mind finds it odd that a high quality oil would cause the friction plates to slip in a wet clutch. I just find that very strange... There are people out there who use Royal Purple in their bikes I'm sure... I understand that Royal Purple reduces friction by a large degree more than most other oil, but is it really so much so that using it ruins the clutch plates??? I need data on this. Sorry I can't just take your word on a forum. If you have a link to information stating that this kind of oil ruins a wet clutch in a Ninja 500 I would greatly appreciate it.
Pay attention.
Motorcycle clutches are "wet", bathed in engine oil. Motorcycle oils do not have friction modifiers. Auto oil has friction modifiers that are fatal to wet clutches. I don't know a more simple way to explain it.

Why would you come on a forum to ask a question that you don't believe the answer to because it's on a forum. Consider that just because your mind finds the answer wrong, does not make it so. Open your mind and learn.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It has nothing to do with royal purple per say, but the type you used isn't for wet clutch applications. We don't need to post a link because its so wide spread and common knowledge. It would damage any clutch. Not just a ninja 500r. I understand you are skeptical but at the same time you can to us for info and advice. We didn't try to force our advice on you. Just Google search it and you'll see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm paying attention man. You can't expect someone who has very little experience in this area to just take your word when you provide absolutely no evidence for your claim. From the research I have done, I cannot find any definitive data that states that friction modifiers ruin wet clutches. I have read a few times that they may cause slippage, but words like "ruin" and "fatal" are much more dramatic than anything I've read.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts