Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I'm paying attention man. You can't expect someone who has very little experience in this area to just take your word when you provide absolutely no evidence for your claim. From the research I have done, I cannot find any definitive data that states that friction modifiers ruin wet clutches. I have read a few times that they may cause slippage, but words like "ruin" and "fatal" are much more dramatic than anything I've read.
Ok, you got me. I'm just as stoopit as you, I was just hoping to throw out some random bullshit about motorcycle oil on the interwebz to fool a fool.
Good luck learning about motorcycles, you're going to need it.

·
Pursebully
36,738 Posts
Alright thanks for the help. I don't really know that much about motorcycles as I just got this one about 5 months ago and it is my first. I am still a bit in the dark. I hear what you guys are saying but my mind finds it odd that a high quality oil would cause the friction plates to slip in a wet clutch. I just find that very strange... There are people out there who use Royal Purple in their bikes I'm sure... I understand that Royal Purple reduces friction by a large degree more than most other oil, but is it really so much so that using it ruins the clutch plates??? I need data on this. Sorry I can't just take your word on a forum. If you have a link to information stating that this kind of oil ruins a wet clutch in a Ninja 500 I would greatly appreciate it.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just trying to understand as fully as possible. Thanks for all the input fellas.

Any idea about that scrape mark?
If you don't want the advice, then don't ask for it. If you're not going to listen then don't ask. We're not making this up.

Pay attention.
Motorcycle clutches are "wet", bathed in engine oil. Motorcycle oils do not have friction modifiers. Auto oil has friction modifiers that are fatal to wet clutches. I don't know a more simple way to explain it.

Why would you come on a forum to ask a question that you don't believe the answer to because it's on a forum. Consider that just because your mind finds the answer wrong, does not make it so. Open your mind and learn.
This.

Once the friction modifiers are in the clutch fibers, they don't come out. The clutch will continue to slip until it eventually damages the steels. The only way to remedy this is to drain all of the oil and replace the clutch fibers. They're ruined. You can't get the modifiers out of the clutch fibers. They will continue to slip. You do not want you clutch to slip. Not sure how much simpler we can make it.

I'm paying attention man. You can't expect someone who has very little experience in this area to just take your word when you provide absolutely no evidence for your claim. From the research I have done, I cannot find any definitive data that states that friction modifiers ruin wet clutches. I have read a few times that they may cause slippage, but words like "ruin" and "fatal" are much more dramatic than anything I've read.
Yes, we can. You asked, we answered. If you don't want to hear it then get the fuck out and do your own research. If you don't believe it, leave your oil and fibers alone. Seems pretty simple to me.

Ok, you got me. I'm just as stoopit as you, I was just hoping to throw out some random bullshit about motorcycle oil on the interwebz to fool a fool.
Good luck learning about motorcycles, you're going to need it.
:lol: Busted

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I had a very experienced mechanic on hand as I dismantled it.
Not too experienced if he knew nothing about using car oil in a bike.
I've probably fallen off more motorbikes than he's worked on.

·
Pursebully
36,738 Posts
I had a very experienced mechanic on hand as I dismantled it. Thanks for the help.
And your very experienced mechanic couldn't answer any of you questions? Or was he very experienced in that he was qualified to watch you turn a ratchet.

·
Official n00b
16,468 Posts
You all seem like such nice people.
You're being very bullheaded. We're here trying to explain why your clutch is all kinds of fucked up (you asked for our help), and then you basically say you don't trust us. So whose really the asshole?

Welcome to the forum. ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'll play good cop.

A lot of our knowledge comes from us reading many posts over many years, often on many different forums. I wouldn't be surprised if the cumulative knowledge base of this forum exceeds 500 years (taking into account each user's personal experience, and other forums/threads they have read).

We know what we're talking about; we've been around the block a few times. I started on the Ninja 500 as well, and am going on my fourth year riding. Four years accumulates quite a bit of knowledge, especially given my personality of having to know how things work and DIY stuff. At the same time, four years doesn't hold a candle to half the people here.

Not sure where I was going with this, but I'll finish by saying we're not trying to dupe or mislead you. There's another forum for that.

·
Pursebully
36,738 Posts
I'll play good cop.

A lot of our knowledge comes from us reading many posts over many years, often on many different forums. I wouldn't be surprised if the cumulative knowledge base of this forum exceeds 500 years (taking into account each user's personal experience, and other forums/threads they have read).

We know what we're talking about; we've been around the block a few times. I started on the Ninja 500 as well, and am going on my fourth year riding. Four years accumulates quite a bit of knowledge, especially given my personality of having to know how things work and DIY stuff. At the same time, four years doesn't hold a candle to half the people here.

Not sure where I was going with this, but I'll finish by saying we're not trying to dupe or mislead you. There's another forum for that.
<<< 27 years

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My clutch works just fine btw. No slippage the entire 3k miles with the Royal Purple. It was exclusively my clutch cable.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So because nothing bad happened "this time" means it's ok to run the wrong oil in your motorcycle? They make motorcycle specific oil for a reason. It's not rocket science.
Nope, it's crotch-rocket science!!! :D

·
Pursebully
36,738 Posts
So because nothing bad happened "this time" means it's ok to run the wrong oil in your motorcycle? They make motorcycle specific oil for a reason. It's not rocket science.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I'm sure it happened (is happening), it's just not as noticeable because of the low power output.;)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts