Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just got this bike today so Im kinda new at this sport bike thing..... I used to ride a honda rebel, when I come up to a red light I usually pull the clutch and downshift all the way to first. Sometimes I would still be going like 25 or 30. I would keep the clutch pulled back while stopping all the way until I would have to start rolling again for the green. NOW.....

When I do this with the 636 I hear noise when I get into first gear and am still rolling around 30/35. When I stop I dont hear it anymore. Any Ideas? is this normal? Another thing.... when I roll up to the light and it turns green I sometimes just take it into second gear skipping first, I get a litte bit of a jolt even with the clutch pulled in and you get that loud clap. Please let me know if im just being anal retentive!! thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
try putting the clutch to the biting point then pulling it back in again before you shift back up to 2nd, see if that helps. (might not, it's just a suggestion).

i'll test out the 1st gear noise thing on my bike today, see if i get the same sounds.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know exactally what you are talking about in refrence to the noise made when you put it in 1st while decelerating and just use brakes to stop instead of engine breaking. I too am interested in what this noise is and if there is any reason it could be bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Java Joe.... Im acutally not using the first gear to engine break (I dont think) by keeping the clutch pulled back until I come to a complete stop. I was told by some experienced riders to always keep it in first just in case you have to take off to get out of the way while waiting at a red.

·
Registered
439 Posts
chuyjr1 I know what you mean thats why I said "put it in 1st while decelerating and just use brakes to stop instead of engine breaking"
But anyway this is still a question that I have wondering about as well

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do you notice that the bike clunks into first also while downshifting at 30mph? Normally if you were in first doing 30mph the bike would be at 6k or so RPM. You shouldn't really downshift all the way to first until you are going a bit slower (maybe 10 mph) unless you want to raise the RPM's up while you still have the clutch pulled in before shifting to first. The noise is normal, you wouldn't hear it and the bike wont clunk while downshifting as long as you have the RPMs matched (or close to) to you traveling speed. Its is just associated with the mismatch of engine RPM and trans speed.

Just for another example, if you have ever missed a shift going from 1st to 2nd (bike slips into neutral after topping out first gear instead of clicking into second) the bike will be traveling faster than normal to shift in 2nd at low RPM and you will notice that the bike wont want to go into second nicely (kinda clunks into 2nd), unless you raise the RPMs up to about where they would be at if you were cruising in 2nd at that speed. If you kinda match the RPMs, the bike will shift like butter, I gurentee it. Sorry if my explanation is kinda hard to follow, just thought I'd share. Let me know if you have any other questions.

ps... you dont really need to be in 1st while going 30 to get out of the way of traffic, 2nd still has enough power to move you around at the speed. I usually power wheelies up at 30 or so in first, so if you need to get out of the way quickly and arent used to the power, 2nd might be a better choice of gear.

·
Registered
433 Posts
down shifting to 1st at 30mph ? you must be testing to see if the slipper clutch works ;) Is the "clapping" heard as you click into first or after while you are coming to a stop? If you use the back brake and lock it up to do a skid, you will hear a clapping noise in the gear box. Now if you are taking off in 2nd from a stop, you will hear a teeth chattering noise which would be coming from the engine. Unless you are feathering the clutch out of 2nd you are definely going to hear it. Mustgang brought up a good point which was to leave it in 2nd while crusing through slow traffic. Shoot, i leave it in 6th when splitting the lanes during L.A. morning traffic. Our bike has good low/mid range torque

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry if I am not being clear.
Hopefully I can better explain myself.

1.Travel at 75mph in 6th gear
2. See stop sign
3. Pull clutch all the way in and keep it in (until complete stop)
4. Bang all the way down to first while still holding the clutch in
5. Hear normal clunk when you get to first
6. As slowing down (because of brake application not being engaged in first) hear a sort of winding noise

This is the noise I'm trying to explain and what I think the original poster was getting at as well. The braking is controlled and there is no skidding of rear tire. And my question has nothing to do with starting from a stop or even anything that occurs while you aren't pulling the clutch all the way in.

·
Registered
297 Posts
JavaJoe... If you are going 30mph and downshift to first, you will hear a much more audible winding noise than the wind passing you. When I first bought my bike I mistakenly went to first when comming to a stop too soon a few times. Try it if you want, the bike will clunk into 1st gear and you will hear a winding noise that goes away as you slow to a stop. Its nothing wrong with the bike, the bikes just shouldn't be downshifted to first till they are moving slower or unless the RPMs are higher (like if you were downshifting to accelerate faster).

Also, if you try downshifting all the way from 6th after comming to a stop, it will not only take a bit before you can get moving again, but also sometimes the trans doesn't like to shift through all the gears if the bike is not moving.

Personally I like to keep the clutch in and downshift as the bike is slowing; you eventually get a feel of when to drop to the next gear to avoid the clunking sound. Everybody has their own style of shifting, I guess thats why some bike eventually develope trans problems (like downshifting to 1st at 30 all the time).

Oh, and I second SER1 on the chattering noise from the gearbox that occurs when you are in too low a gear for your speed, you can start out better in first anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The winding noise is just the tranny and is typical. I hear the same thing when I kill my bike while rolling into my garage. If I shift into neutral, then kill the bike while rolling, the noise isn't there. The main reason you are hearing it is because your RPMs are low and the noise is more obvious. Instead of the gear box turning the wheel, the wheel is turning the gear box which causes a winding noise.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Originally posted by Roadrunner
The winding noise is just the tranny and is typical. I hear the same thing when I kill my bike while rolling into my garage. If I shift into neutral, then kill the bike while rolling, the noise isn't there. The main reason you are hearing it is because your RPMs are low and the noise is more obvious. Instead of the gear box turning the wheel, the wheel is turning the gear box which causes a winding noise.
Ding Ding Ding.... We have a winner. You should get the same noise if you let off of the throttle while in gear, but the engine is creating enough noise to over power the noise the tranny is making.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the huge response, I guess I just have to break that habit of downshifting all the way to first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.