Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what will cause the clutch to hang up? Its adjusted right but it will not release. For example when clicking into first from neutral it will lurch forward which then frees it up and causes it to release. Also when downshifting it doesn't release until it get forced into the lower gear after which further downshifts are smooth. Also when pulling in the clutch when coming to a stop it starts to bog the engine until it pops free and releases.

·
Registered
81 Posts
having same problem, thinking about taking it in to see whats up..I have tried to adjust the clutch a few times but no luck.

·
Registered
857 Posts
explain your problem slightly better how you worded it was kinda confusing, if your clutch was infact not releasing you would not be able to go into any gear or drive at all couse your clutch would always be the equivelant of pulled in but your able to drive so that doesnt sound rite...

·
Registered
20 Posts
What kind of oil are you guys using? When was the last time it was changed? Do you guys use the clutch a lot (wheelies, burnouts, city riding)? Sounds like sticky plates. Happens a lot in the winter. Oil gets thicker causing the plates to stick. Other reasons could be warped metal plates or burned fiber plates. Is there gas in the oil? This could cause the fiber plates to swell.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't do wheelies or city riding, mostly all backroads.

If I pull in the clutch while its in gear in my garage it won't roll until I rock it back and forth and then suddenly the engines frees from the transmission and it can be rolled easily. Shifting from neutral into first will sometimes also cause it to lurch forward. The biggest problem is downshifting though, if I blip the throttle its ok but if I pull in the clutch and try to downshift it won't shift unless I bump the shift lever a couple times. It appears the clutch won't dissengage unless a shock is applies to the drive train to free it. Maybe it is warped plates?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take out your plates and put them on a flat surface to see if they are warped. Also, it they are uneven in color (blue or black) it's probably a good sign they are warped.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am using amsoil full synthetic that I changed before the season and only have about 600 mi on it since.I didn't notice the problem until this year. It won't downshift unless I hit the throtle a bit and then it goes in and I can shift down,and as for going from N to 1st it catches hard.If it is the plates does anyone know where to look for new ones and how hard it would be to replace on my own..Much thanks for the help..

·
Registered
857 Posts
you should be able to order a clutch pack from a local dealer or any online bike store...i got a barnette pack recently for 200cdn and they are easy to install there is a good FAQ in the how to section on clutches, the aftermarket springs are tuffer aswell they'll give your hand a workout somtimes but it shifts alot better i repalced mine cosue my clutch was starting to slip...it doesn;t take long either you mize well take the clutch plates out to inspect them then youll be sure..

·
Registered
857 Posts
Originally posted by KawiKidd
hey leanlow where did you get your clutch @ all I could find was 1 for an 03-04 @ indysportbikes.com.Dealer?
i bought mine at a local performance parts etc dealer, about a 20 min drive from me and last one he ahd ins tock pretty conveniant as i needed it right away, but i believe solomotoparts and 58 cycle have clutch kits...i know parts unlimited carries them so any dealer or store that sells from the parts unlimited catalogue will be able to order you one in, from my local bike store it would take 2 days for the kit to arrive...there are a number of brans that make the kits some don't make a kit you must buy the correct amount of plates and stuff but same deal...the most popular probly Barnette or EBC kits...here is a link to the Barnett page with product number for you...and they do carry a kit for the 05/06 as in my case the 04 i had to buy all the correct plates/disks and springs with the proper part number....hope it helps

edit: forgot to add the link lol here it is....
http://www.barnettclutches.com/prod...ches_other&clutch_make=Kawasaki&clutch_cc=636

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.