Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok peeps. I have an 03 9R with about 7850 on it. Took it out for a spin tonight and noticed that if I'm switching gears at about 10K, the clutch won't engage the next gear quickly. It's almost as though it slips into gear. It'll hang around 10K for a few milli seconds and then drop into the next gear. Now I was getting on it pretty good, so it could just be that the clutch was hot, but has anyone had this problem? Am i looking at either a new clutch or just an adjustement? Can I adjust it, without cracking into the case? Ohh yeah. It was about 50F outside if that makes any difference.
Thanks for the help!
C

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Am I just not getting it into the gear hard enough? [:I] I'll give it a shot.
C

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
sounds like slipping clutches. Get into 4th or 5th gear and pin the throttle. If you sound like your spinning your clutches are slipping. Make sure you have your cable adjusted right, I've seen plenty of burned clutches because of that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's EXACTLY what's happening. Which part of the cable should I adjust? Those two bolts near the clutch cover or the adjustement near the clutch lever?
C

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was having the same problem the other day. When I would get on it like 3rd-5th the RPM's would go up and the bike would have to catch up with the RPM's. I adjusted the two bolt's near the clutch cover, that seemed to help out. At the least It'll get me the rest of the season. I have a '98 ZX9. Not sure, but can only assume the clutch adjustment's are the same as ur '03. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. I'm pretty sure the clutches are the same. I'll give it a try today and let you know. Good to see that I'm just not getting it into gear smoothly...(Thank Badaszx :D)
C

·
Registered
1,905 Posts

Adjust you cable adjuster so that you are halfway the threads. (Dont pay attention that mine are not in the middle because thats where my final adjustment is!!!!)

Adjust at the clutch cover (above) so that there is no tension on the cable, but is flush.(below)

Last adjust at the cable lever so that you have about 1/8th-1/4in freeplay before the arm at the clutch cover moves.

If that doesn't help then... http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22881

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kilaman....thanks for the pics and info. Is that first pic near your clutch lever? And are you telling me to adjust it so that the silver thing is half way up the threads? (Again...thanks for the help)
C

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Yep and yes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.