Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys took the bike out for a spin over the weekend and noticed when i got in the higher rpm's the clutch started to slip, only doing it in the higher rpm's, so yesterday i went out to inspect the clutch plates and noticed that the steel plates had hot spots on them, the fibers look to be still in good shape, have anybody experienced this problem and do anybody no what can cause this problem, could it be from a poor clutch adjustment from the cable, just replaced this clutch earlier part of this yr

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and could somebody show me a pic of where the clutch cable & the 2 adjuster bolts should be at set at down by the clutch cover, i think i have mine set wrong, i have the adjuster nut on the right side closest to the front of the bike back all the way out to the end of the thread

·
Registered
68 Posts
clutch cable adjustment

Do you have the shop manual? It has the steps to go through, but you can just fiddle with the three adjustments until you get to the right place.

Basically, the cable needs to be adjusted so that there is a 60 degree angle between the clutch release arm and the clutch cable, and there's 1-2 mm of play at the clutch lever.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
sounds like it's not adjusted rite. need to adjust it at the cover, then fine tune it at the lever. pic of lever and cover. i'll get back with more.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i set everything like the service manual said, pull the cable tight and tighten both adjuster nuts up against the bracket and adjusted the slack on the clutch lever, took the bike for a spin and it pulled great, took the bike to the track and made 2 passes and the clutches started to slip again, remind u i just replaced the steels with kawi oem ones, still runnin the versah fibers i had in there previous, i think the fibers are now needin to be changed, what fibers do you'll guys recomend, oem or aftermarket

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my setup is versah fibers, kawi oem steels and ebc HD clutch springs, runnin shell rotella 5w40 synthetic and change my oil every 2-3k, i have made several passes on the versah plates but only 2 on the new steels, just installed steels last week

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
just wander dont know much about shell oil but its motorcycle safe right?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i'm running the barnett kelvar but i'm going back stock next time

hey ryda, you prolly eat the clutch up some by not having it adjusted rite.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i figured that was some of my problem bc of not having it adjusted right, im going to put a new set of fibers in and get it looked at by a kawi tech

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey do anybody no if i can add another steel to my clutch pack to keep it from slippin in the higher rpms, and do i need to add the steel to the back

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
48K on my original clutch and going strong.... mobil 1 15-50 the reason why? hmmmm lol.

By the way, I ran that Shell Rotella regular 15-40 before and instantly felt the clutch slip with it at high rpms, makes me wonder if its really clutch safe.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
hey do anybody no if i can add another steel to my clutch pack to keep it from slippin in the higher rpms, and do i need to add the steel to the back
hey man, i started to suggest that earlier. put an exrtra steel in the center of the pack, you can also put a washer behind the springs

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i run castrol gtx 10-40 or 10-30, never had a problem @ around 30,000 miles.

on my 2nd clutch because i adjusted it to loose at the strip so my boy could get a better grab on it. he burnt the stocker up.

from what i've seen thru different manufacturers, stock clutch is hard to beat.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
48K on my original clutch and going strong.... mobil 1 15-50 the reason why? hmmmm lol.

By the way, I ran that Shell Rotella regular 15-40 before and instantly felt the clutch slip with it at high rpms, makes me wonder if its really clutch safe.
hey im runnin shell rotella 5w40 synthetic, look on the website and it said it was rated for safe to use in wet clutch motorcycles, that could possibly be my problem only slips from 10k rpms on, i just figured it was my fibers bc i do dragrace and i no other racers burn theres out quickly, i think im going to start useing a specific motorcycle oil for now on and see if that will help, how do u like that mobil 1 is it synthetic

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey man, i started to suggest that earlier. put an exrtra steel in the center of the pack, you can also put a washer behind the springs
hey i still got my old steels that i replaced with some new 1's, i have hd springs in there now and they are 5/16 longer than the stockers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts