Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike makes a little 1-2 second rattle right when I fully release the clutch in 1st gear. It is not real loud but I dont think it does it in any other gears. It does it right as I am fully releasing the lever, once it is all the way out it stops. The faster I let out the clutch the less it does it. Any body have any idea what this is? It does not slip at all just this little rattle.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
maybe it's just the clutch lever rattling from the vibration? where is the noise comming from?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it happens while I still have my fingers on the lever, right before I let go. Once I let go its gone. It sounds like its coming from the left side of the bike down by the drive sprocket, but it could be right side down by the clutch.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
hate to say this but....are you giving it enough gas?![:I] lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, thats what I was thinking, but it still does it at higher rpms though. It is just less noticeable cause of the engine noise. Its not like I am starting just off idle at like 1200 trying to get the bike rolling. I usually shoot up to at least 3000 right as I am letting the clutch out.
I know that sound you get when you dont give a bike enough gas and let the clutch out, this is not that loud or drastic.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think that if I got into the clutch it would be something I could see? Would I be able to see damage or wear that would tell me that there was a problem?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i'm pretty sure you could see how much the friction plate would have worn down ..so yea...i'd open her up but maybe ask your dealer or wait for Rob Lee to post. he knows way more than me!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No dealers, forgin theives. Ill see what replies I get tonight. Thanks for your help.
No one else has any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
checking my manual for a '96 and it says:
friction plate thickness: 2.72-2.88mm (stadard).....2.2mm (service limit)
friction and steel plate warp: 0.2 mm or lss (standar).....0.3 mm (service limit)
clutch spring free length: 82.1 mm (standard)......78.0 mm (service limit)

i guess you could check that stuff...umm...it says you need a special tool..a clutch holder and pressure cable luber but you could prob improvise.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, havent got in there yet. Im going to ride it real hard tomarrow and we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I could not hear it the last two days I rode, wierd! I am just keeping a close eye on my clutch now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.